Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Katie Averitt: Discussion Questions

4 posters

Go down

Katie Averitt: Discussion Questions Empty Katie Averitt: Discussion Questions

Post by Katie A Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:43 am

1.Can someone lose their salvation? If so, what would make them lose it? Select a few Bible passages that address this subject and briefly (1-3 sentences each) explain how the verse speaks to this question.
Is it possible for someone to lose their salvation? In a word, yes. The reason that I believe this to be true is because there is a passage in 2 Peter 2:20-21 which reads, “And when people escape from the wicked ways of the world by learning about our lord and savior Jesus Christ and then get tangled up with sin and become its slave again, they are worse off than before. It would be better if they had never known the right way to live than to know it and then reject the holy commandments that were given to them.” (NLT). This scripture implies that someone can escape from wickedness (get saved) by knowing Jesus, and then leave that knowledge only to get tangled up in sin again. If this scripture is implying that someone can live in the truth and then reject and leave it, and salvation comes by knowing Jesus (a.k.a. The Truth), then by this scripture, we can assume that it is possible for one to lose their salvation.
2. Select a question from page 607 and write a response. (#2 form page 607: If someone asked you, “What must I do to be saved?” how would you respond?)
If someone were to ask me what they needed to do to be saved, I would tell them that all they need to do is accept Jesus is their savior. I would refer to Romans 10:9-10 which says, “If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord.’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.” Having a genuine belief and proclamation that Jesus is Lord is how one becomes saved by His grace. This also involves repentance, dying to-- or turning away from the things of this world and turning towards new life in Jesus. A scripture to support this idea can be found in Romans 6: 11-14, which talks about how we turn from death and sin and turn towards Jesus, for he is our new master and we are no longer slaves to sin.

Katie A
Katie A

Back to top Go down

Katie Averitt: Discussion Questions Empty Re: Katie Averitt: Discussion Questions

Post by Marie Hugershoff Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:32 am

Katie A wrote:1.Can someone lose their salvation? If so, what would make them lose it? Select a few Bible passages that address this subject and briefly (1-3 sentences each) explain how the verse speaks to this question.
Is it possible for someone to lose their salvation? In a word, yes. The reason that I believe this to be true is because there is a passage in 2 Peter 2:20-21 which reads, “And when people escape from the wicked ways of the world by learning about our lord and savior Jesus Christ and then get tangled up with sin and become its slave again, they are worse off than before. It would be better if they had never known the right way to live than to know it and then reject the holy commandments that were given to them.” (NLT). This scripture implies that someone can escape from wickedness (get saved) by knowing Jesus, and then leave that knowledge only to get tangled up in sin again. If this scripture is implying that someone can live in the truth and then reject and leave it, and salvation comes by knowing Jesus (a.k.a. The Truth), then by this scripture, we can assume that it is possible for one to lose their salvation.

In my response to this question I wrote that someone could not lose their salvation because in my mind it is impossible to turn your back on God after you have truly known Him. I think the passage you chose is very interesting and convicting. I hadn't thought of it when I was thinking through my answer. Although I see your point i'm not sure I am convinced that becoming a slave to sin after learning about Christ, or rejecting the command to live a holy life, would equal losing salvation. Since this whole chapter is about false teachers I was trying to figure out what that passage would mean as it relates to false teachings. I don't really have an answer, all I can say is from experience I was a slave to sin after accepting Jesus. I chose to live an unholy life for a couple of years even though I knew God and I knew he was calling me to a better life. It wasn't until I invested in my relationship with Him that I was able to break the bonds of sin and strive to live a holy life. But looking back on the time I was stuck in sin, I still think that I was saved. I loved God and had accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior I just didn't know what living a Godly life looked like, or how to go about living a Godly life.
Marie Hugershoff
Marie Hugershoff

Back to top Go down

Katie Averitt: Discussion Questions Empty Re: Katie Averitt: Discussion Questions

Post by Marlou Peters Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:09 am

Katie A wrote:1.Can someone lose their salvation? If so, what would make them lose it? Select a few Bible passages that address this subject and briefly (1-3 sentences each) explain how the verse speaks to this question.
2. Select a question from page 607 and write a response. (#2 form page 607: If someone asked you, “What must I do to be saved?” how would you respond?)
If someone were to ask me what they needed to do to be saved, I would tell them that all they need to do is accept Jesus is their savior. I would refer to Romans 10:9-10 which says, “If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord.’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.” Having a genuine belief and proclamation that Jesus is Lord is how one becomes saved by His grace. This also involves repentance, dying to-- or turning away from the things of this world and turning towards new life in Jesus. A scripture to support this idea can be found in Romans 6: 11-14, which talks about how we turn from death and sin and turn towards Jesus, for he is our new master and we are no longer slaves to sin.

I agree with you that you can lose your salvation. I think this verse is pretty clear about that it is possible to lose your salvation. Matthew 10:33

but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.

Those are some intense words. It is not even denying before men but we even can deny God too. It says clearly here that He will deny us before the Father. So I do think you can lose your salvation especially by denying the Lord.

I also think that if someone truly repents again and tries to lives like Jesus. We are all fallen short of the glory of God and the Bible does talk about in Romans 10:9 If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

So I do think that people can get saved again but that they also can lose their salvation.

Marlou Peters
Marlou Peters

Back to top Go down

Post by stockmannk Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:45 am

I think that this is a very good answer to the Calvinist answer put forward that it is impossible for one to lose ones' faith. I have recognized as of this month's reading that I lean rather Armenian/free will/it's possible to lose your faith, having grown up Methodist. The hinging point for me is whether God's grace and call is irresistible or not among the elect, and whether there is a universal call or only a call to an elect or remnant. But I think that Calvinists say that if you walk away from your faith, then you weren't an elect in the first place. I wrote my response leaning to the Calvinist side, but I'm still not certain exactly what I believe on this topic. I don't know that I will find a concrete answer, and wonder if this is just a mystery that we will discover the answer to only once we reach the other side.

stockmannk
stockmannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down