Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Katie Averitt: Theology Questions

2 posters

Go down

Katie Averitt: Theology Questions Empty Katie Averitt: Theology Questions

Post by Katie A Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:14 pm

1.What do you think was Bird’s strongest point in his explanation of “baptism in the Spirit”? What was Anderson’s strongest point? 
Though I disagree with it, I think that Bird’s strongest point in his explanation of the baptism of the Holy spirit is when he mentions how Paul preached to the Corinthians that we are all baptized by one Spirit, and because not everyone in the group spoke in tongues, he is moreover saying that they filling of the spirit is a separate event, but an event simultaneous to salvation. This is a strong point due to his scriptural reference and historical knowledge. 
Anderson’s strongest point in his explanation of the baptism of the Holy spirit is when he mentions the Assemblies of god position, which gives many scriptural references. A point mentioned within is that the baptism of the Holy Spirit is an experience that is distinct and subsequent to the experience of new birth. The scriptural references given for this are Acts 8:12-17; 10:44-46; 11:14-16; 15:7-9. 

2.Select a question from page 648 and write a response. 
#3. Do you Think we should worship the Holy Spirit? 
Yes and no, depending on how you interpret the question. Someone once told me that if you worship the right God in the wrong way, you are still worshipping the wrong God. As humans, we have this way of making an idol out of anything and everything. Therefore, I do think that it is important that we are not worshipping the baptism of the Holy Spirit or our ability to operate in the gifts of the Spirit, for it is then that we run the risk of this becoming an idol. 
However, I do think that we should worship God entirely and in His fullness. In His fullness, God is the trinity. He is one God, but in three separate entities: The Father, the Son, and the Hold Spirit. Worship is defined as the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity. God’s ability to be everywhere, to move in and through and among His people, His ability to comfort and heal and bring truth to us, is most certainly worth our reverence and adoration. 
Katie A
Katie A

Back to top Go down

Katie Averitt: Theology Questions Empty Re: Katie Averitt: Theology Questions

Post by Marlou Peters Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:32 am

Katie A wrote:1.What do you think was Bird’s strongest point in his explanation of “baptism in the Spirit”? What was Anderson’s strongest point? 
Though I disagree with it, I think that Bird’s strongest point in his explanation of the baptism of the Holy spirit is when he mentions how Paul preached to the Corinthians that we are all baptized by one Spirit, and because not everyone in the group spoke in tongues, he is moreover saying that they filling of the spirit is a separate event, but an event simultaneous to salvation. This is a strong point due to his scriptural reference and historical knowledge. 
Anderson’s strongest point in his explanation of the baptism of the Holy spirit is when he mentions the Assemblies of god position, which gives many scriptural references. A point mentioned within is that the baptism of the Holy Spirit is an experience that is distinct and subsequent to the experience of new birth. The scriptural references given for this are Acts 8:12-17; 10:44-46; 11:14-16; 15:7-9. 

2.Select a question from page 648 and write a response. 
#3. Do you Think we should worship the Holy Spirit? 
Yes and no, depending on how you interpret the question. Someone once told me that if you worship the right God in the wrong way, you are still worshipping the wrong God. As humans, we have this way of making an idol out of anything and everything. Therefore, I do think that it is important that we are not worshipping the baptism of the Holy Spirit or our ability to operate in the gifts of the Spirit, for it is then that we run the risk of this becoming an idol. 
However, I do think that we should worship God entirely and in His fullness. In His fullness, God is the trinity. He is one God, but in three separate entities: The Father, the Son, and the Hold Spirit. Worship is defined as the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity. God’s ability to be everywhere, to move in and through and among His people, His ability to comfort and heal and bring truth to us, is most certainly worth our reverence and adoration. 

I think that you are bringing up a good point with your second questions. People to make idols out of everything. I do think baptism in the Holy Spirit is important, but we shouldn’t worship that. We need to worship Jesus. Holy Spirit is a part of the Trinity. We worship the Father and the Son. I think we need to worship all three!
Marlou Peters
Marlou Peters

Back to top Go down