Katie Averitt: Theology Questions

Go down

Katie Averitt: Theology Questions

Post by Katie A on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:15 pm

1.Can someone be a sincere Christian and believe in evolution?
I believe that it is entirely possible to be a sincere Christian and believe in parts of the evolutionist theory. I do not, however, think that is possible to be a macro-evolutionist and claim to be a sincere Christian. There is validity, though, to some of the micro-evolutionist views. The macro-evolutionist believes that it is possible for one species to evolve into a completely different species (ex. Ape to human). This is not possible from a biblical standpoint as scripture clearly states that every creature was made after its own kind (Genesis 1:21). If someone is a sincere Christian, they need to be accepting the entire word as truth and not just parts of it. The micro-evolutionist, however, believes that there can be changes within a species over time. An example of this is displayed in the survival of the fittest. Giraffes didn’t always have long necks. If there happens to be a giraffe out there that has a longer neck than the rest and is able to get food that other giraffes can't, it is likely that the species will evolve towards that genetic mutation in order to achieve the best means for survival. This doesn’t mean, though that they are evolving into a different species. It’s definitely possible to be a Christian and not ignore blatant proof that science offers. It is important to note though, that there is no blatant proof of macro-evolution, only micro-evolution.

2.Select question #4-8 from page 231 and write a response.
#6. What does nature tell us about God? What is the limitation of nature for the knowledge of God?

To quote Michael F. Bird, he says, “Creation is the theater of God’s glory and the medium that expresses his infinite power, wisdom, and goodness. God is moved to create for no other reason than his glory and his goodness, that is, his love.” (pp. 141-142). Romans 1:18-20 tells us that God makes himself known to non-believers through his creation. But how? For me, when I look at nature it tells me that God is big. I love looking out at a mountain range or a canyon and feeling so small as I gaze upon how big the world is that surrounds me. God has to be awfully big to create such a huge creation. Whatever problems I face, I know my God is bigger and all I have to do is look outside. From nature, I also know that God is mindful and complex. From the largest elephant to the smallest single-cell organism, God made creation with such intricacies that it couldn’t have happened by accident. He made his creation beautifully and uniquely. The limitation of nature for the knowledge of God, though, is that it can’t exactly shout out the words, “God made me and I witnessed it happen!”. Not everyone enjoys being outdoors, and not everyone can experience the voice of God through symbols, which is very much what observing God through nature is. So in some ways, knowing God through nature alone can be a challenge.
Katie A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Katie Averitt: Theology Questions

Post by hstrelow on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:35 pm

Katie, the way that you see God in nature is truly beautiful. I love how you see his magnitude and beauty in the creation around you. I long to have this perspective when I look at the world around me. Instead, God shows me his great love for me in His creation. When God made creation, he said everything was good, but when he made us, he said everything was very good. Above all of creation, we stand out as more beautiful and magnificent than the rest of creation. So when I am looking out at the sunset and think "Man, thats beautiful," I am reminded just how much more beautiful God thinks I am. But you are so right; the key is witness!! We get such a beautiful privilege that nature does not get to share the good news of what God has done in our lives. What an encouraging reality.
hstrelow

View user profile

Back to top Go down