Katie Averitt: Discussion Questions

Go down

Katie Averitt: Discussion Questions

Post by Katie A on Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:18 am

Question#1.
Two stories in the Bible that I think best represent God’s character are Genesis 22 and The story of the birth of Jesus Christ. The reason that I think these stories are the best depictions of God is because together they display His deep love and pursuit for us as well as how full of Grace and mercy he is.
The first time that the word “love” is mentioned in the entire Bible is found in Genesis 22:2 when God said to Abraham, “Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.” If one were to view love through the lens of this scripture, in which the word was first used, they would find that love is defined as sacrifice, and this passage of scripture works to prove the loving, sacrificial heart of God, which is for shadowed using the story of Abraham and Isaac.
The story of Jesus' birth is important in describing the character of God, as God is triune and Jesus is part of that Trinity. The very fact that Jesus came shows that God is humble and in pursuit of his beloved (us), because the King of the universe would leave his home so that we might be saved and rescued from death by his love.

Question #2 (#3 on page 231).
Describe what is the most distinguishing attribute or set of attributes describing God's character.
In lieu of this chapter I would say that the most distinguishing attribute of God is that he is triune. It is very important that one understands the triune nature of God. For if God was not triune and Jesus was not God then his blood would not be powerful enough to atone for our sins. If we fail to recognize that Jesus is in fact God, then we miss out on realizing that the ruler, creator, and king of the universe humbled himself and came to us in the form of a human so that he could know us better and experience what we experience, and ultimately bridge the gap that lies between us and himself. If God is not triune then Jesus death means nothing-- which is simply not true. For Jesus's death means everything. Jesus not only died for everyone but for each one. His death and Resurrection was not just business, it was personal. Meaning if you were the only person throughout all history to ever wanted to receive salvation, that would have been enough to make Jesus endure the cross. If Jesus, who is God, didn't die to atone for our sins then how could we justify having an open connection with, or access to, the father? For it is Jesus who is our advocate and our messenger, and it is the holy spirit that brings comfort and conviction. Because God's heart and ultimate desire is to have closeness and intimacy with us it is important that we recognize the Trinity as his most distinguished attribute.
Katie A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Katie Averitt: Discussion Questions

Post by Kolten Turner on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:05 pm

Describe what is the most distinguishing attribute or set of attributes describing God's character.
In lieu of this chapter I would say that the most distinguishing attribute of God is that he is triune. It is very important that one understands the triune nature of God. For if God was not triune and Jesus was not God then his blood would not be powerful enough to atone for our sins. If we fail to recognize that Jesus is in fact God, then we miss out on realizing that the ruler, creator, and king of the universe humbled himself and came to us in the form of a human so that he could know us better and experience what we experience, and ultimately bridge the gap that lies between us and himself. If God is not triune then Jesus death means nothing-- which is simply not true. For Jesus's death means everything. Jesus not only died for everyone but for each one. His death and Resurrection was not just business, it was personal. Meaning if you were the only person throughout all history to ever wanted to receive salvation, that would have been enough to make Jesus endure the cross. If Jesus, who is God, didn't die to atone for our sins then how could we justify having an open connection with, or access to, the father? For it is Jesus who is our advocate and our messenger, and it is the holy spirit that brings comfort and conviction. Because God's heart and ultimate desire is to have closeness and intimacy with us it is important that we recognize the Trinity as his most distinguished attribute.
[/quote]

I find it interesting that for the first 300ish years after the death of Christ, Christians struggled with the idea that Jesus is fully divine and part of the trinity. Obviously it's not something that is easy to understand, and we can't truly fully understand it because we can't fully understand God. However, being so close to the works and miracles of Jesus, one would think that the early church would be more apt to identify Jesus as fully divine. I wonder what those who follow the Arian ideology think about the the atonement of sins. Do they believe that Jesus is second to God, but is allowed to atone for our sins because God gives him that ability? Our understanding is what you said. Jesus dying for our sins is the only way to atone for our sins and being reconciled with God. However, I'm wondering the conclusion that Arian followers have come to or if that ideology is still relevant anywhere in the world.
Kolten Turner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi Katie, will you please add a picture to your profile for this forum?
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://incmit.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia.O. on Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:52 am

Katie A wrote:Question#1.
Two stories in the Bible that I think best represent God’s character are Genesis 22  and The story of the birth of Jesus Christ. The reason that I think these stories are the best depictions of God is because together they display His deep love and pursuit for us as well as how full of Grace and mercy he is.
The first time that the word “love” is mentioned in the entire Bible is found in Genesis 22:2 when God said to Abraham, “Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.”  If one were to view love through the lens of this scripture, in which the word was first used, they would find that love is defined as sacrifice, and this passage of scripture works to prove the loving, sacrificial heart of God, which is for shadowed using the story of Abraham and Isaac.
The story of Jesus' birth is important in describing the character of God, as God is triune and Jesus is part of that Trinity. The very fact that Jesus came shows that God is humble and in pursuit of his beloved (us), because the King of the universe would leave his home so that we might be saved and rescued from death by his love.

Katie, I loved the two stories you used that you feel best represent God. I contemplated using these stories as well but you related them to God beautifully in a way I wouldn't have. I love the point you brought up about Gen 22:2 being the first time we see the word 'love' and how that correlates with sacrifice. Such a selfless love! This story of Abraham and Isaac challenge me over and over again. I want to trust God like Abraham.

Then this same selfless love is sent with Jesus. I'm so in awe of the way God chose to save us through. It is the most humble way a Godly King could save. The birth story of Jesus changes everything! So glad the God I love have walked the same Earth I am on today. He is such a great example to us as to how to live here when our home is elsewhere.
Alicia.O.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down