Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen Averitt Discussion Questions

2 posters

Go down

Stephen Averitt Discussion Questions Empty Stephen Averitt Discussion Questions

Post by S.h.ave Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:42 pm

1.Can someone lose their salvation? If so, what would make them lose it? Select a few Bible passages that address this subject and briefly (1-3 sentences each) explain how the verse speaks to this question.

My first bible passage is 1 Timothy 1:18-20: "Timothy, my child, I entrust you with this command in keeping with the previous prophecies about you, so that by them you may fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and thereby shipwrecked their faith. Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme." This passage reveals that two men have "shipwrecked their faith" and were "handed over to Satan." This language sounds very much so that these men weren't following Jesus upon being given over to Satan, despite their faith being in Him at the beginning. My personal belief from this passage is that these men were left to continue in their sin, recognize the truth and how much they've fallen, and return to Jesus; it's possible they lost their salvation, but the belief is that they will ultimately be restored to the faith.

Second, James 5:19-20: "My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, consider this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and cover over a multitude of sins." This passage is clear that one can wander and upon wandering, becomes a sinner in need of salvation. This suggests that one can lose their salvation, but can regain it later.

Third, Hebrews 6:4-6 "It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age— and then have fallen away—to be restored again to repentance, because they themselves are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting Him to open shame." This passage makes it clear that there are those who can lose their salvation, never to regain it. The passage suggests that this would be a significantly strong believer, mature, (possibly) baptized in the Holy Spirit, who would deny God.

2. If someone asked you, "What does it mean to be saved?" what would you say?

To be saved means that you recognize that you are sinful and are in need of a savior because you can't purify yourself. It's recognizing that Jesus is Lord and that He takes you out of the kingdom of this world and takes you into the Kingdom of God. This means that you have an eternal place in heaven with God upon death, and that in life, heaven comes to Earth all around you. You start to see that God is sanctifying your body, soul, and spirit, so that you resemble that which you are - holy. Salvation means that God saved you, He is saving you, and He will save you in the time to come. It says that He is saving you physically, emotionally, spiritually, intellectually, and socially from evil, unclean things and saving you to the ways of the Kingdom. Salvation means that you are part of the family of God, entitled to every right and inheritance that Jesus has.

S.h.ave
S.h.ave

Back to top Go down

Stephen Averitt Discussion Questions Empty Re: Stephen Averitt Discussion Questions

Post by Brenton Malnofski Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:04 pm

I really like the three passages you selected for the losing your salvation question. I think it sheds some light on the various different ways one can go about their salvation. As in, just because someone stumbles, it doesn’t necessarily mean they’re lost forever. But they certainly could be. And it could be anybody who falls, however mature or immature they are in Christ.
I also like and agree with your explanation of what it means to be saved. Salvation is a past, present and future process comprising of justification, sanctification and glorification. It’s not something a believer should grow complacent about, since they constantly need to be checking their faith.
Brenton Malnofski
Brenton Malnofski

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum