Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Theology Questions: Katie Averitt

2 posters

Go down

Theology Questions: Katie Averitt Empty Theology Questions: Katie Averitt

Post by Katie A Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:20 pm

• 1.Think back through your week. What evidence of total depravity have you experienced? What evidence of the doctrine that humanity is created in the
image of God?
I just returned home from a missions trip to Jolo, WV, which is located in the poorest county in the United States. In Jolo, there is a high opioid crisis. The town is filled with people who need Jesus. This was an example of total depravity, in my opinion, as I was able to witness in a very extreme way, how our flesh is full of sinful desires that are longing to be satisfied, and addiction is an example of that. Additionally though, I was able to witness the beauty of humanity and how we are crafted in God’s image. I was able to see a work ethic and compassion from the people who represent the local church that so beautifully captures a glimpse of the father’s compassion for us. This makes me think of the expression we often say to young children, “You act just like your father/mother.” I love getting to witness this in action—God’s kids acting like their father. When we act like Him, we show people what He looks like. That’s incredible to me.

• 2.Select a question from page 695 and write a response.
#1. What sets humanity apart from the animal world?
Simply put, the basic concept that separates humanity from the animal world is that we are imago dei—we are crafted in God’s image. This, we have power and authority that animals do not have. While all creation displays the glory of God (Psalm 19, Romans 1:20), Bird claims that it is humanity that actually gets to share in that glory with God. He also makes the claim that The imago dei is the royal dominion given to us to rule over creation on God’s behalf, therefore, one defining feature that separates humanity from the animal world is that humanity has dominion over the animal world. Additionally, Bird makes the point that humanity consists of a psychosomatic unity of the body and the soul. There is no clear evidence in scripture which states that animals have souls, however, there is clear evidence which declares that humanity does have souls, thus making another distinction between humanity and the animal world.
Katie A
Katie A

Back to top Go down

Theology Questions: Katie Averitt Empty Re: Theology Questions: Katie Averitt

Post by ZachAmick Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:02 pm

Katie A wrote:• 1.Think back through your week. What evidence of total depravity have you experienced? What evidence of the doctrine that humanity is created in the
image of God?
         I just returned home from a missions trip to Jolo, WV, which is located in the poorest county in the United States. In Jolo, there is a high opioid crisis. The town is filled with people who need Jesus. This was an example of total depravity, in my opinion, as I was able to witness in a very extreme way, how our flesh is full of sinful desires that are longing to be satisfied, and addiction is an example of that. Additionally though, I was able to witness the beauty of humanity and how we are crafted in God’s image. I was able to see a work ethic and compassion from the people who represent the local church that so beautifully captures a glimpse of the father’s compassion for us. This makes me think of the expression we often say to young children, “You act just like your father/mother.” I love getting to witness this in action—God’s kids acting like their father. When we act like Him, we show people what He looks like. That’s incredible to me.

• 2.Select a question from page 695 and write a response.
#1. What sets humanity apart from the animal world?
Simply put, the basic concept that separates humanity from the animal world is that we are imago dei—we are crafted in God’s image. This, we have power and authority that animals do not have. While all creation displays the glory of God (Psalm 19, Romans 1:20), Bird claims that it is humanity that actually gets to share in that glory with God. He also makes the claim that The imago dei is the royal dominion given to us to rule over creation on God’s behalf, therefore, one defining feature that separates humanity from the animal world is that humanity has dominion over the animal world. Additionally, Bird makes the point that humanity consists of a psychosomatic unity of the body and the soul. There is no clear evidence in scripture which states that animals have souls, however, there is clear evidence which declares that humanity does have souls, thus making another distinction between humanity and the animal world.

I really like your answers. It is so heartbreaking when we see first hand the effects of sin in such a heightened way. One of the best explanations I have heard of total depravity is that we are all born with a God-shaped hole and we try to fill it with anything but God. It is so sad that in rural America, people have been abandoned by changing industry and have turned to such devastating drugs. It is amazing however, to see the work that God is doing in places like that through His Church. Even when the idols of industry and drugs seek to destroy man, God comes to protect His image and to bring freedom. His redemptive nature and restorative heart are at work in places like Jolo and He will not abandon them.
ZachAmick
ZachAmick

Back to top Go down