Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amanda Middleton: Discussion Questions

Go down

Amanda Middleton: Discussion Questions Empty Amanda Middleton: Discussion Questions

Post by Amanda Middleton Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:58 pm

1.If you had to pick two stories (narratives specifically, not just passages) from the Bible that best illustrate what God is like, which would you choose? Select one story from the Old Testament and one from the New Testament, then explain your choices.
2.What do you think of Augustine's statement that "whoever denies the Trinity is in danger of losing his salvation; whoever tries to understand the Trinity is in danger of losing his mind"?
Amanda Middleton
Amanda Middleton

Back to top Go down

Amanda Middleton: Discussion Questions Empty Re: Amanda Middleton: Discussion Questions

Post by Amanda Middleton Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:44 am

amiddleton wrote:1.If you had to pick two stories (narratives specifically, not just passages) from the Bible that best illustrate what God is like, which would you choose? Select one story from the Old Testament and one from the New Testament, then explain your choices.
2.What do you think of Augustine's statement that "whoever denies the Trinity is in danger of losing his salvation; whoever tries to understand the Trinity is in danger of losing his mind"?

1.The best story I can think of from the OT is the book of Hosea (I'm sorry if this is too long of a story but you didn't set limitations). I love how this story shows the depth and unconditionality of God's love. Hosea was a prophet who was instructed by God to marry a prostitute, Gomer. While the story of Hosea is about him and his wife, it is also about the relationship between God and Israel. Gomer, because she only knows the ways of prostitution, is unfaithful to her husband, but God insists that Hosea stays faithful to her and shows her love by buying her back. The story then turns to God and Israel... Israel is like Gomer because they don't realize what an amazing provider they have and they constantly turn away from God by worshipping idols and disobeying Him. But God is loving and no matter how many times Israel messes up, God shows mercy. "But the more they [Israel] were called, the more they went away from me...My heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused. I will not carry out my fierce anger, nor will I devastate Ephraim again. For I am God, and not a man. (Hosea 11:2, 8-9)

In Acts, when Paul and his companions are traveling place to place spreading the Gospel, and in Ch 16 they are stopped from entering into Asia and Bithynia by the Holy Spirit. Then God sends Paul a vision of a man from Macedonia begging them for help. This story within the Book of Acts demonstrates God's sovereignty. When Paul thought he had the right idea of going to Asia and Bithynia, God stopped them because that wasn't His plan. When Paul wasn't sure where to go next, God sent him a vision to give him guidance. God makes sure his plan comes into fruition.

2.I think Augustine's statement of "whoever denies the Trinity is in danger of losing his salvation; whoever tries to understand the Trinity is in danger of losing his mind" is very accurate.
Based on the evidence the Scriptures have to offer, the Trinity obviously exists. The entire Gospel revolves around the idea that the Son, the Holy Spirit, and the Father together are God and also each individually is God. We can trust that, if Jesus is God, when Jesus died on the cross, our sins were forgiven. If Jesus is not God, then what we believe is not true and we are not saved from our sins and we should still be following Jewish tradition. If you deny the Trinity then you deny the Gospel.
Acknowledging the existence of the Trinity and actually understanding the Trinity are two completely different matters. I can acknowledge that quantum mechanics exists, but actually understanding it to the point of being able to explain it to someone else is beyond me... some might think similarly of the Trinity. If you don't believe me, try explaining the Trinity to a Muslim or any non-believer without a Christian background. Those of us who grew up in church think we understand the Trinity, but once you break down the entire concept, it's actually hard to wrap your mind around and it's very possible that you could begin to question everything you've ever believed.
Amanda Middleton
Amanda Middleton

Back to top Go down