Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amanda Middleton: Discussion questions

Go down

Amanda Middleton: Discussion questions Empty Amanda Middleton: Discussion questions

Post by Amanda Middleton Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:22 am

1. I don't believe that someone can lose their salvation, IF a person has been truly saved. If a person has a real encounter with God that leads to a real relationship with Him, then I believe this person will never be able to truly turn their back completely on God. However, I'm not totally sold on this, because there are passages in Scripture that may be referring to losing your salvation.
John 10:25-30 I did tell you but you did not believe. The works I do in my Father's name testify about me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one.
Jesus is speaking to a crowd of Jews questioning him if he was the Messiah. Jesus responds that those who are his sheep, the ones who believe, will never perish and never be taken from him because.
Another passage that comes to mind when I think about this question is John 15. In the beginning of the passage, Jesus is talking about how abiding produces fruit. But in verse 6 he says, "If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned." If the fire that Jesus is referring to is hell, then it's possible that someone could be in relationship with God and after a time of not abiding in Him, loses their salvation.

2.If someone asked you, "What does it mean to be saved?" what would you say?
My response to this question would be much more simple than the way Bird writes. I would say that salvation means that we are forgiven of our sins and given the gift of eternal life. I think this covers most of the aspects of salvation in very few words. Because we are forgiven of our sins this means we do not receive the wrath of God and we are justified. Because we are given eternal life we are rescued from eternal damnation and we can be at peace when we think about life after death. It's tough to answer this question in very few words and give a comprehensive response because salvation can mean so many things. When I typically think of salvation, I usually think of how it affects me in the future. In my response, I may also include that salvation has past, present and future aspects to it. We were justified, we are being sanctified, and we will be glorified.
Amanda Middleton
Amanda Middleton

Back to top Go down