Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caleb Nally Discussion Questions

2 posters

Go down

Caleb Nally Discussion Questions Empty Caleb Nally Discussion Questions

Post by Caleb Nally Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:24 pm

1. Can somebody lose their salvation?
I've always had a hard time dealing with this question because I have always heard well put together arguments on both sides but when it comes to me and my understanding I would say no someone cannot lose their salvation. The reason being is because the salvation Jesus offers is either conditional or unconditional. If it is unconditional then we can't lose it but if it is conditional then there is something that can happen that can cause us to lose it. I would reason that it is unconditional simply because I see the nature of God as unconditional. We see this unconditional love in John 10:27-28 “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand “ Here we see that when we follow Jesus there are no conditions it is very definitive what will happen. Jesus says we will have eternal life and that we will not be plucked from his hand which speaks to an assurance that when we genuinely repent and follow Jesus we have a security of salvation. Also anyone who argues this side needs to argue about Hebrews 6:4-6 because it is a clear passage of scripture that seems to indicate that someone can lose their salvation. I would say that this passage is referring to unbelievers rather than believers simply because of what the word enlighten means which is referring to an instruction in biblical truth. Just because someone understands the words of scripture doesn’t mean they are regenerated by the Holy Spirit. John 1:9 refers to Jesus as “the true light, which gives light to everyone.” We know that this light can’t be salvation because not everyone is saved but because God’s power is sovereign every man has enough light to be held responsible. So I would say Hebrews 6:4-6 is referring to unbelievers and not saying someone could lose their salvation.

2. Is it possible to be saved without knowledge of Christ as Savior?
This has always been an uncomfortable question to talk about because it seems to paint God in a light that is unjust. There are two schools of though on this subject there is inclusivism and exclusivism. Inclusivism is the idea that salvation is only through Jesus but there may be people who are saved without knowing it. Simply that Jesus may save some who never hear of Him. Then there is exclusivism which holds to the idea that redemption is only possible through faith in the gospel. I think exclusivism is the correct view. God is just because he bring his punishment to the guilty. Which brings the question of what would happen to the tribesman who have never heard of God before, will God condemn them? I would say yes because there is no one who is innocent. We as humans are not guilty because we have heard or not heard the gospel, we are guilty because of the presence of rebellion in our lives. In Romans 1:18-21 we see that God's power is evident in all of creation and people in their rebellion don't follow God. Verse 21 says "For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to Him" which clearly shows man's rebellion at heart. That rebellion is in everyone's life which makes God just in dealing out his punishment. This view does seem unfair but it is important for us to maintain a posture of humility and trust in our good and merciful God. Also this motivates me to take the gospel to unbelievers even more. How selfish would it be for me to be fortunate enough to hear the gospel spoken so freely in my life and not spread it to people who may not have had the same opportunity as I have?

Last edited by Caleb Nally on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Caleb Nally
Caleb Nally

Back to top Go down

Caleb Nally Discussion Questions Empty Re: Caleb Nally Discussion Questions

Post by hstrelow Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:14 pm

I totally agree with you, Caleb, on exclusivism. It is difficult to think that God would punish people who "had no choice", but in reality, we all have choice to sin or not to sin. If we choose sin, we inadvertently choose punishment. I love how you mention that or guilt is not based on our response to the Gospel, but it is based on our response to God. And we all have responded in arrogance and hatred! Furthermore, I believe that exclusivism creates a deeper urgency for bringing the Gospel to the ends of the earth. Knowing that we are responsible for someone's un-knowing of the Gospel should spur us on to greater evangelism than ever before.
hstrelow
hstrelow

Back to top Go down