Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion Questions Stephen Averitt

2 posters

Go down

Discussion Questions Stephen Averitt Empty Discussion Questions Stephen Averitt

Post by S.h.ave Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:02 pm

1.What do you think was Bird’s strongest point in his explanation of “baptism in the Spirit”? What was Anderson’s strongest point?
2.Select a question from page 648 and write a response.

1. I think Bird's strongest point in his explanation of the baptism in the Spirit is his quotation of 1 Cor 12:13: "For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body - whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free - and we were all given the one Spirit to drink" (NIV). Although other translations (like the ESV) could possibly allow a different interpretation, here Bird shows that the church as a whole at that time had been baptized by the Spirit and were given the Spirit to drink. Since it is highly unlikely that ALL of the believers at Corinth were baptized in the Holy Spirit (despite the frequency of such an event upon salvation at that time), this passage more likely refers to salvation, which more commonly unites all believers. In this, Bird makes a strong claim.

I think Anderson's strongest point is that the baptism in the Holy Spirit provides MORE power and authority to believers. He defends the baptism in saying that it is good for believers to walk in, in that it empowers the believers to make disciples. To achieve this point, Anderson's strongest point was the statistics of nonpentecostals to pentecostals in international church member size. "Pentecostal ministry is not slightly more effective. It makes a dramatic difference." In both examples, Pentecostals were at least 20 times more than the Methodists or Baptists. I think it shows just how effective the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is in enabling the Church to make disciples.

2. Does the Holy Spirit still reveal new truths?

Ecclesiastes 1:9 "What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun." Scripture is clear in stating that there is nothing new; even modern heresies mirror old ones. Thus, the Holy Spirit does not reveal 'new' truths; He reveals truths that are "new to you," just like a recently purchased used car. When studying Scripture, for example, and you discover something 'new', it's not that it's actually new; it's something that people in the past knew and believed but was lost over time. If something is completely new, then it didn't come from the Holy Spirit and is a heresy.
S.h.ave
S.h.ave

Back to top Go down

Discussion Questions Stephen Averitt Empty Re: Discussion Questions Stephen Averitt

Post by Katie A Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:32 pm

S.h.ave wrote:1.What do you think was Bird’s strongest point in his explanation of “baptism in the Spirit”? What was Anderson’s strongest point?
2.Select a question from page 648 and write a response.

1. I think Bird's strongest point in his explanation of the baptism in the Spirit is his quotation of 1 Cor 12:13: "For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body - whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free - and we were all given the one Spirit to drink" (NIV). Although other translations (like the ESV) could possibly allow a different interpretation, here Bird shows that the church as a whole at that time had been baptized by the Spirit and were given the Spirit to drink. Since it is highly unlikely that ALL of the believers at Corinth were baptized in the Holy Spirit (despite the frequency of such an event upon salvation at that time), this passage more likely refers to salvation, which more commonly unites all believers. In this, Bird makes a strong claim.

I think Anderson's strongest point is that the baptism in the Holy Spirit provides MORE power and authority to believers. He defends the baptism in saying that it is good for believers to walk in, in that it empowers the believers to make disciples. To achieve this point, Anderson's strongest point was the statistics of nonpentecostals to pentecostals in international church member size. "Pentecostal ministry is not slightly more effective. It makes a dramatic difference." In both examples, Pentecostals were at least 20 times more than the Methodists or Baptists. I think it shows just how effective the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is in enabling the Church to make disciples.

2. Does the Holy Spirit still reveal new truths?

Ecclesiastes 1:9 "What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun." Scripture is clear in stating that there is nothing new; even modern heresies mirror old ones. Thus, the Holy Spirit does not reveal 'new' truths; He reveals truths that are "new to you," just like a recently purchased used car. When studying Scripture, for example, and you discover something 'new', it's not that it's actually new; it's something that people in the past knew and believed but was lost over time. If something is completely new, then it didn't come from the Holy Spirit and is a heresy.

In reference to the second question that you answered, I definitely agree with your argument. Instead of using the word "new," I like to use the word "fresh." The Holy Spirit can (and does) reveal fresh truths to us when we become blind or asleep to them. There are always some aspects of the gospel that we tend to forget or lack in understanding of and need a freshening of, but it is by the power of the Holy Spirit that believers are able to acquire this fresh knowledge. This is an advantage that unbelievers, or people without the Holy Spirit, do not have, as explained to us in 1 Corinthians 2:10-14.
Katie A
Katie A

Back to top Go down