Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hope Strelow: Theology Questions

2 posters

Go down

Hope Strelow: Theology Questions Empty Hope Strelow: Theology Questions

Post by hstrelow Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:48 pm

1. Summary of the end times in Colossians.
Much of the book of Colossians emphasizes the beauty of the end times for believers. Only in a few verses does Paul mention the wrath, judgement, or perishing of sinners (2:22, 3:6, 3:25). All other verses point to the hope of glory to come for the believer. I found this extremely interesting as I looked at all the verses as a whole. Paul describes a day when we will receive our inheritance, be transferred into the Kingdom and rescued from darkness, be forgiven of our sin, be holy and blameless, be reconciled, live in the glory of God, and receive our final reward. His goal in discussing end times is clearly to encourage the believers. Furthermore, Paul uses these encouragements to spur the church on to greater faith here. In Paul's eyes, end times are supposed to lead us to model the Kingdom today by thinking of heavenly things and being coworkers of the Kingdom. He describes an already-not-yet end times concept by describing believers by who they already are in heaven. But I would definitely say he has a greater emphasis on the not yet portion, and uses this portion to encourage the already portion.

2. What view of the millennium do you find the most persuasive and why?
I would say I find the premillennialism view most persuasive. Part of this is because the author does an excellent job of arguing his personal theological stance. He had much more Scripture supporting this view, and he had much less Scripture arguing against this viewpoint. But when looking at the depiction of this view, I found this was more logical and clear than the others. It includes the concept of two resurrections, while also claiming Jesus to return only once and judgment to return only one. It also included the tribulation pre-millennium. It also has a posttribulationism perspective of Christ's return. I feel this view of tribulation best falls in Pauls' descriptions of tribulations to the Thessalonians.
hstrelow
hstrelow

Back to top Go down

Hope Strelow: Theology Questions Empty Re: Hope Strelow: Theology Questions

Post by Amanda Middleton Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:25 am

hstrelow wrote:1. Summary of the end times in Colossians.
Much of the book of Colossians emphasizes the beauty of the end times for believers. Only in a few verses does Paul mention the wrath, judgement, or perishing of sinners (2:22, 3:6, 3:25). All other verses point to the hope of glory to come for the believer. I found this extremely interesting as I looked at all the verses as a whole. Paul describes a day when we will receive our inheritance, be transferred into the Kingdom and rescued from darkness, be forgiven of our sin, be holy and blameless, be reconciled, live in the glory of God, and receive our final reward. His goal in discussing end times is clearly to encourage the believers. Furthermore, Paul uses these encouragements to spur the church on to greater faith here. In Paul's eyes, end times are supposed to lead us to model the Kingdom today by thinking of heavenly things and being coworkers of the Kingdom. He describes an already-not-yet end times concept by describing believers by who they already are in heaven. But I would definitely say he has a greater emphasis on the not yet portion, and uses this portion to encourage the already portion.

2. What view of the millennium do you find the most persuasive and why?
I would say I find the premillennialism view most persuasive. Part of this is because the author does an excellent job of arguing his personal theological stance. He had much more Scripture supporting this view, and he had much less Scripture arguing against this viewpoint. But when looking at the depiction of this view, I found this was more logical and clear than the others. It includes the concept of two resurrections, while also claiming Jesus to return only once and judgment to return only one. It also included the tribulation pre-millennium. It also has a posttribulationism perspective of Christ's return. I feel this view of tribulation best falls in Pauls' descriptions of tribulations to the Thessalonians.

I never really picked up on Paul using end times as an encouragement for believers, but you're definitely right. It's cool that something that is usually thought of as scary and terrifying can be used to give encouragement and peace.
Amanda Middleton
Amanda Middleton

Back to top Go down