Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hope Strelow: Theology Questions

2 posters

Go down

Hope Strelow: Theology Questions Empty Hope Strelow: Theology Questions

Post by hstrelow Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:03 pm

1.What do you think was Bird’s strongest point in his explanation of “baptism in the Spirit”? What was Anderson’s strongest point?
I believe the strongest argument that Bird had centered around the baptism as a secondary event. The evidence he used that was particularly interesting was when he brought up the Acts 19 story with the disciples of John the Baptist. In this example, He shows that the disciples were likely not converted since they needed an explanation of who was to come, Jesus. Because of this, their spirit baptism was likely a representation of their conversion. The best argument in Anderson's article centered around whether or not power was given to those who were not baptized in the Holy Spirit. He describes how Old Testament individuals, and even the 70 disciples who casted out demons, used powers to build the Kingdom. But after Pentecost, we saw more of the gifts exemplified though people who did not have special roles or titles.

Do you think we should worship the Holy Spirit?
Absolutely, I do! The Holy Spirit is just as much divinity and God as Jesus, yet we worship him. I believe that the Holy Spirit is the least-credited part of the trinity. We praise the Father for provision and protection; we praise Jesus for his death and resurrection; but, we neglect to praise the Holy Spirit for the thousands of ways he works in the lives of believers in the present church. The Holy Spirit is responsible for guidance, power, comfort, and sanctification. I hear so many individuals give the Father or Jesus credit for the work of the Holy Spirit (I am not saying this is wrong, I'm simply saying it is misdirected and there is great joy in proper direction). We should worship the Holy Spirit when we feel comforted. We should worship the Holy Spirit when we turn from sin. We should worship the Holy Spirit when we experience power to heal and wisdom to follow. The Holy Spirit is so personally involved with our day to day lives as believers. We should be praising him as he so rightly deserves.
hstrelow
hstrelow

Back to top Go down

Hope Strelow: Theology Questions Empty Re: Hope Strelow: Theology Questions

Post by Bethany Hutson Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:13 pm

hstrelow wrote:1.What do you think was Bird’s strongest point in his explanation of “baptism in the Spirit”? What was Anderson’s strongest point?
I believe the strongest argument that Bird had centered around the baptism as a secondary event. The evidence he used that was particularly interesting was when he brought up the Acts 19 story with the disciples of John the Baptist. In this example, He shows that the disciples were likely not converted since they needed an explanation of who was to come, Jesus. Because of this, their spirit baptism was likely a representation of their conversion. The best argument in Anderson's article centered around whether or not power was given to those who were not baptized in the Holy Spirit. He describes how Old Testament individuals, and even the 70 disciples who casted out demons, used powers to build the Kingdom. But after Pentecost, we saw more of the gifts exemplified though people who did not have special roles or titles.

Do you think we should worship the Holy Spirit?
Absolutely, I do! The Holy Spirit is just as much divinity and God as Jesus, yet we worship him. I believe that the Holy Spirit is the least-credited part of the trinity. We praise the Father for provision and protection; we praise Jesus for his death and resurrection; but, we neglect to praise the Holy Spirit for the thousands of ways he works in the lives of believers in the present church. The Holy Spirit is responsible for guidance, power, comfort, and sanctification. I hear so many individuals give the Father or Jesus credit for the work of the Holy Spirit (I am not saying this is wrong, I'm simply saying it is misdirected and there is great joy in proper direction). We should worship the Holy Spirit when we feel comforted. We should worship the Holy Spirit when we turn from sin. We should worship the Holy Spirit when we experience power to heal and wisdom to follow. The Holy Spirit is so personally involved with our day to day lives as believers. We should be praising him as he so rightly deserves.

2. I really like how you responded to this question. I agree with you that the Holy Spirit should be worshipped. We often times forget that the Spirit is an equal part of the Trinity and plays a significant role in our lives. I also feel that we often forget to be in communion or in tune with the Holy Spirit. After all, we were given the Holy Spirit to guide us, convict us, and empower us among other things. We should have a thankful heart and remember that the Holy Spirit is a part of the Trinity just as Jesus and God, the Father, is.
Bethany Hutson
Bethany Hutson

Back to top Go down