Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen Averitt Discussion Questions

2 posters

Go down

Stephen Averitt Discussion Questions Empty Stephen Averitt Discussion Questions

Post by S.h.ave Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:59 pm

1.Think back through your week. What evidence of total depravity have you experienced? What evidence of the doctrine that humanity is created in the
image of God?
2.Select a question from page 695 and write a response.

1. In the past week, I met with one of the non-Christian students I am reaching out to. He told me that for Spring Break, he went camping with some friends. From the beginning, their plan was to buy a tent, and then after at least three days of use, return it for a full refund. It was his friend's idea, but at the end of the trip, the friend was doubting that it was a good thing to do. My friend said, "No, this is what we planned to do from the beginning; we should go ahead and return it." So they returned it, and upon returning it, my friend felt terrible about himself and realized that what he had done was wrong. I think this example shows total depravity in my friend's heart/mind as well as with his friends' hearts/minds. Their plan was wrong from the beginning, and they decided to carry it out, even after knowing that it was wrong.

Over our mission trip in Jolo, West Virginia, there were three Convoy of Hope teams working side-by-side: IU, Purdue, and Fairmont State. We didn't know each other before the trip, but we quickly made friendships and established community. After two days, our teams started to blend, and students from one university were spending time with students from the two other universities. By the end of the week, many friendships were established across the different universities, and I think that this shows the Relational view of the imago dei. We represent how easy it is to form relationships between people.

2. "How does a Christian view of the image of God impact our understanding of human rights?"

In response to this question, I would say that a healthy view of the imago dei means that humans should be treated fairly and equally. Humans should not be slaves, but should be allowed to rule as God intended. People everywhere should have easy access to food and water, clothing and nutrition, and anything else required to make someone live healthily. More than this, I think this question stretches even to discussing animal rights. I think on a broad spectrum, animal rights are in place because a particular species of animal is beautiful and we want to protect it. However, if we believe that humans are the imago dei and not animals, then why would such priority be given to creatures not deserving of it? Why should there ever be regulations limiting the (healthy) freedoms of humanity when animals are inherently less valuable than humans? I think that a healthy view of the image of God means that when humans are threatened, or malnourished, or not sufficiently displaying the image of God, we should work to prioritize humanity and promote their well-being, so that they can better image God.
S.h.ave
S.h.ave

Back to top Go down

Stephen Averitt Discussion Questions Empty Re: Stephen Averitt Discussion Questions

Post by Jacob Gulka Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:27 pm

You made several great points Stephen! On your discussion of total depravity it is interesting how human beings will still know what is right v.s wrong however we give in to sin. It's almost as if in our human state we are bound to always commit sin. Your discussion on the natural state of your non-christian friend illustrated that truth well.

Concerning your second response on human rights it is enlightening how fundamental the understanding of imago dei is to human rights. The position of man before the fall could described in an awesome Psalm:

“What is man that you are mindful of him,
and the son of man that you care for him?
Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
and crowned him with glory and honor.
You have given him dominion over the works of your hands;
you have put all things under his feet,”
(Psalm 8:4-6)

This shows the beauty and thought God purposed in designing us.
Jacob Gulka
Jacob Gulka

Back to top Go down