Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Elliff: Theology Questions

2 posters

Go down

Ryan Elliff: Theology Questions Empty Ryan Elliff: Theology Questions

Post by ryanelliff Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:47 pm

1.What do you think was Bird’s strongest point in his explanation of “baptism in the Spirit”? What was Anderson’s strongest point?

The strongest point Bird made was the examination of whether Spirit baptism is a secondary event that happens in a believer after conversion (Pentecostal view), or if it an event that happens at the same time as conversion (evangelical view). This is something I have struggled with personally, having grown up Baptist and not having heard of Spirit baptism as a separate event until college. Bird points out several instances in the Bible where people received the Spirit baptism in both ways. I don’t think He ever declared one way to be “correct”, but mainly that the Spirit baptism is necessary for “full” conversion as seen in the story of John the Baptist’s disciples. I believe that the Spirit baptism can happen in many different ways and in different time sequence, but always occurring after confession of sin and proclaiming Jesus as Lord. Whether immediate or delayed, Spirit baptism happens afterwards and gives the believer Holy Spirit power!

Anderson’s strongest point was that the current Pentecostal church has a stance on the Spirit baptism that is too rigid and therefore cannot stand strongly against opposition. Because most Pentecostals believe the Spirit baptism has to happen in a very specific manner, they do not leave much room for unique experiences. This view confines the Holy Spirit and in a way limits how God can work in a person’s life. The Assemblies of God have recognized this and addressed that, although there are some things that should always happen, Spirit baptism is a unique experience to each person and it gives the believer more giftings, but not all.

2. What have been the blessings/drawbacks of the Pentecostal/charismatic movement?

I think one of the most significant things the Pentecostal/charismatic movement has done is that it has brought greater focus on the workings of the Holy Spirit. Bird points out that many evangelical churches view the Holy Spirit as a lesser part of the Trinity. He attributes this to the fact that there is not as much teaching in the Bible on the Holy Spirit as there is about God the Father and Jesus Christ. The rise of the Pentecostal movement has created conversations and debate on the specifics of the Holy Spirit. I think that even believers that don’t align with the position of Pentecostals now have a better grasp on who the Holy Spirit is because they have thought more on what they believe than generations past.
ryanelliff
ryanelliff

Back to top Go down

Ryan Elliff: Theology Questions Empty Re: Ryan Elliff: Theology Questions

Post by cjgalyen Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:38 pm

Ryan, I enjoyed your post! I agree with what you said about the Bird passage. Growing up with a Catholic background, the Baptism of the Holy Spirit really shook me when I first joined Chi Alpha. Bird's stance on link between conversion and the Baptism of the Holy Spirit really challenged me. I think the main thing I took away is that God is mysterious and not systematic. Therefore Baptism of the Holy Spirit is mysterious and not systematic as well. There is inconsistency in Acts in which the order of Baptism of the Spirit occurs, but it is clear that when they are filled with power!
cjgalyen
cjgalyen

Back to top Go down