Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Elliff: Theology Question

2 posters

Go down

Ryan Elliff: Theology Question Empty Ryan Elliff: Theology Question

Post by ryanelliff Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:07 am

1. Can someone lose their salvation? If so, what would make them lose it? Select a few Bible passages that address this subject and briefly (1-3 sentences each) explain how the verse speaks to this question.

The simple answer to this question is - I don't know. This is something I wrestle with from time to time and still haven't really come to a definitive conclusion. When I was in college I remember being part of a very heated discussion on this topic and by the end of it I'm pretty sure everyone left believing exactly what they believed before they started. Its one of the questions that are so divisive, but ultimately I don't believe any human will ever know for certain the answer! In Colossians 1:22-23, Paul tells his readers that God has reconciled them by Christ's death and that as long as they "continue in their faith" they would be "without blemish and free from accusation". So this along with several other verses (Specifically Hebrews 6:4-6 & 10:26-29) leads me to believe that yes, you can lose your salvation. Paul warns that it is not possible for one that has fallen away to be brought back to repentance. However, I also believe that if you truly know and understand who God is and what salvation means for us, I don't see how you could ever deny any of it. This is definitely a tricky question and one that I am still trying to work through. I know its difficult to think of eternity when a loved one that once walked with the Lord denies the faith. There is no way for us to know where someone's heart is and where their eternity will be spent, but we can pray and intercede for those we know that are struggling to "continue their faith" that they would be brought back into the kingdom of God!

2. If someone asked you, "What must I do to be saved?" how would you respond?

Romans 10:9-13 "If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in Him will not be put to shame." For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile - the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
ryanelliff
ryanelliff

Back to top Go down

Ryan Elliff: Theology Question Empty Re: Ryan Elliff: Theology Question

Post by Alicia.O. Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:03 pm

ryanelliff wrote:1. Can someone lose their salvation? If so, what would make them lose it? Select a few Bible passages that address this subject and briefly (1-3 sentences each) explain how the verse speaks to this question.

The simple answer to this question is - I don't know. This is something I wrestle with from time to time and still haven't really come to a definitive conclusion. When I was in college I remember being part of a very heated discussion on this topic and by the end of it I'm pretty sure everyone left believing exactly what they believed before they started. Its one of the questions that are so divisive, but ultimately I don't believe any human will ever know for certain the answer! In Colossians 1:22-23, Paul tells his readers that God has reconciled them by Christ's death and that as long as they "continue in their faith" they would be "without blemish and free from accusation". So this along with several other verses (Specifically Hebrews 6:4-6 & 10:26-29) leads me to believe that yes, you can lose your salvation. Paul warns that it is not possible for one that has fallen away to be brought back to repentance. However, I also believe that if you truly know and understand who God is and what salvation means for us, I don't see how you could ever deny any of it. This is definitely a tricky question and one that I am still trying to work through. I know its difficult to think of eternity when a loved one that once walked with the Lord denies the faith. There is no way for us to know where someone's heart is and where their eternity will be spent, but we can pray and intercede for those we know that are struggling to "continue their faith" that they would be brought back into the kingdom of God!

2. If someone asked you, "What must I do to be saved?" how would you respond?

Romans 10:9-13 "If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in Him will not be put to shame." For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile - the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

I also answered the first question with "I don't know" and I think you're right when saying you don't believe humans will know the answer. I think that's a well justified answer. There's some knowledge we don't need to have here on Earth and while that can feel unsettling it should give us great peace that God has already figured it out. I also relate with how you see Paul's warning verses (and Jesus' too) to believers and conclude that there must be some falling away or loss of salvation that happens. And yet, God does have chosen people and no one can change the fate of what God has predetermined. I think in the end we are explaining something too supernatural for us to fully understand.
Alicia.O.
Alicia.O.

Back to top Go down