Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Theology Discussion Questions: Bethany Hutson

2 posters

Go down

Theology Discussion Questions: Bethany Hutson Empty Theology Discussion Questions: Bethany Hutson

Post by Bethany Hutson Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:56 pm

1.What do you think was Bird’s strongest point in his explanation of “baptism in the Spirit”? What was Anderson’s strongest point?

Bird does a great job of explaining the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and relating it to us in a gentle way. For example, he states, “Filling with the Spirit brings an inner warmth and a visible joy to the life of a believer. Being filled with the Spirit elicits a delighting in the Lord and a special sense of peace in one’s soul.” In other words, there is this divine connection that happens. He also goes on to say that being filled with the Spirit is something we should constantly seek to cultivate. It seems to me that he does not limit this to a one-time event, but rather something that is continuous.

Anderson does a good job of explaining some of the fundamental beliefs that all Christians believe in their spiritual life. These include justification, the Word, prayer and fasting, community (church), water baptism, sanctification, suffering, ministry, and the baptism in the Holy Spirit. In this particular area, he emphasizes that more passion, power, and emotion for ministry are conveyed.

2.Select a question from page 648 and write a response.
6. What does the Spirit-filled church look like?

Filling with the Spirit is something that is cultivated and continuous. The church should strive to be filled with the Holy Spirit and this means to be growing in spiritual understanding and being empowered. Individuals and churches should open up themselves to God as an emptied cup waiting to be filled with the Spirit of God. Churches who are Spirit-filled have an unspeakable joy, peace, and are active in gospel proclamation. When I personally think of a Spirit-filled church I am reminded about the passage in Acts 2:42-47 where the believers were in fellowship with one another and experienced real community and many signs and wonders took place and the Lord added to their number those who were being saved. Bird states, “Spirit filling is not a mechanical event like adding fuel to an engine; it is rather more akin to being wrapped in a blanket of heavenly joy. It is something to be energetically sought after, prayed for, and valued in church life.” I feel like the early church prayed for this to accomplish the spread of the gospel.
Bethany Hutson
Bethany Hutson

Back to top Go down

Theology Discussion Questions: Bethany Hutson Empty Re: Theology Discussion Questions: Bethany Hutson

Post by Amanda Middleton Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:57 pm

Bethany Hutson wrote:1.What do you think was Bird’s strongest point in his explanation of “baptism in the Spirit”? What was Anderson’s strongest point?

Bird does a great job of explaining the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and relating it to us in a gentle way. For example, he states, “Filling with the Spirit brings an inner warmth and a visible joy to the life of a believer. Being filled with the Spirit elicits a delighting in the Lord and a special sense of peace in one’s soul.” In other words, there is this divine connection that happens. He also goes on to say that being filled with the Spirit is something we should constantly seek to cultivate. It seems to me that he does not limit this to a one-time event, but rather something that is continuous.

Anderson does a good job of explaining some of the fundamental beliefs that all Christians believe in their spiritual life. These include justification, the Word, prayer and fasting, community (church), water baptism, sanctification, suffering, ministry, and the baptism in the Holy Spirit. In this particular area, he emphasizes that more passion, power, and emotion for ministry are conveyed.

2.Select a question from page 648 and write a response.
6. What does the Spirit-filled church look like?

Filling with the Spirit is something that is cultivated and continuous. The church should strive to be filled with the Holy Spirit and this means to be growing in spiritual understanding and being empowered. Individuals and churches should open up themselves to God as an emptied cup waiting to be filled with the Spirit of God. Churches who are Spirit-filled have an unspeakable joy, peace, and are active in gospel proclamation. When I personally think of a Spirit-filled church I am reminded about the passage in Acts 2:42-47 where the believers were in fellowship with one another and experienced real community and many signs and wonders took place and the Lord added to their number those who were being saved. Bird states, “Spirit filling is not a mechanical event like adding fuel to an engine; it is rather more akin to being wrapped in a blanket of heavenly joy. It is something to be energetically sought after, prayed for, and valued in church life.” I feel like the early church prayed for this to accomplish the spread of the gospel.

It's interesting, in your response to the first question, that you made the connection that what you believe to be baptism in the Holy Spirit, Bird refers to as filling of the Spirit. When I read Bird's explanation to baptism in the Holy Spirit, I assumed he believed that baptism in the Spirit was a one time event that occurred at conversion and filling of the Spirit was related but separate from baptism.
Amanda Middleton
Amanda Middleton

Back to top Go down