Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carson Bledsoe: Theology Discussion

Go down

Carson Bledsoe: Theology Discussion Empty Carson Bledsoe: Theology Discussion

Post by Carson Bledsoe Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:50 pm

1. Can someone lose their salvation? If so, what would make them lose it? Select a few Bible passages that address this subject and briefly (1-3) sentences each) explain how the verse speaks to this question. I believe the answer to this question is far more complicated than a yes or no response, or even 150-250 words but at the most basic level I do believe it is possible for someone to lose their salvation. James 5:19-20 says “19My brothers and sisters, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring that person back, 20remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins.” Here James is clear talking to believers, whom he calls “brothers and sisters” who have walked away from their faith in Jesus. I think it is important to note that we as believers have the wonderful right of calling other believers our siblings in Christ and James mentions it is possible for some of our brothers and sisters to be led from the truth. Another interesting verse on this topic is Matthew 10:21-22 which states “21Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. 22You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.” Here Jesus is describing to His disciples how difficult being a witness for him will be. In verse 22 Jesus stats “but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.” Those of us who stand firm in our belief in Christ will be saved but it appears from this passage that it is possible to falter in our belief and to lose the gift of salvation. Again, I understand that each of these verses could be spun in the opposite direction making this question incredibly difficult to answer on this side of Heaven

2. If someone asked you, “What must I do to be saved?” how would you respond? I find that the easiest explanation of salvation to give and comprehend comes from Romans 10:9-10. This passage states: “9 If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.” It is important, for me personally, to use this passage when explaining salvation because we still as Christian often forget the deep truth rooted in Paul’s words. We tend to forget that the only thing God now requires of us is belief in and proclamation of His son. I like to use this passage when sharing what the gospel is because it’s an excellent reminder for myself as well.

Carson Bledsoe
Carson Bledsoe

Back to top Go down