Carson Bledsoe: Theology Questions

Go down

Carson Bledsoe: Theology Questions

Post by Carson Bledsoe on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:25 pm

Can someone be a sincere Christian and believe in evolution?

I don’t believe it is possible for someone to be a sincere Christian and believe in macroevolution which is what most people mean when they say evolution in this context. Macroevolution is major evolutionary change throughout a whole group or species, as opposed to microevolution where very small changes occur. I don’t believe it is possible for someone to be a sincere Christian and believe in macroevolution of the human race because it refuses an integral part of the creation story, man being made in God’s image(Gen 1:26). If God were to place us on Earth and have us evolve, but he created us in his image, does this mean that God evolves and changes? Does this mean that God started out as a single cell organism and evolved to be the divine? Does this mean that God started off not that smart but has since evolved into being the most intelligent entity in all of creation? In my opinion, it is very difficult to believe in macroevolution and be a sincere Christian due to this problem as well as a handful of others.

Is it possible to understand God’s glory without understanding his love?

To understand God’s glory, I believe it is necessary to understand his love. In order to truly understand the glory of God, who he is, we must understand what he has done. To fully understand what God has done, it is important we understand that all God does, he does from a place of love for his creation, specifically for his children. It is also important to know why God is deserving of glory and this glory comes from what he has done for us as sinners. The more we understand how incredible his sacrificial love, the more glory we are willing and should give him. It is possible to somewhat understand God’s glory in terms of him being great and powerful and wonderful, but it is not possible to understand the glory he is deserved due to his actions, which were/are done out of a place of love for us.
Carson Bledsoe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Carson Bledsoe: Theology Questions

Post by Brenton Malnofski on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:38 pm

I think it’s interesting that you pointed out the distinction between micro and macroevolution here. I definitely think that belief in evolution can be taken too far, and lessen God’s impact on His world and His creation. I’ve been trying to rationalize that in my own head for months now, since I have believed in the basic premise of evolution.
And I agree, I do think it’s important to understand God’s love in order to understand His glory. Without that, we’d likely just look at Him as an impersonal dictator who does whatever He wants for no apparent reason. The reason being His immense love changes that perception quite drastically.
Brenton Malnofski

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marlou Peters on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:12 am

I completely agree with you that it Is necearry to understand the love of God in order to fulky understand God glory. Everything that God is doing is out of love for us. When we don’t understand the love of God we miss out on so much. I don’t think we could really have a close relationship with God. Why would you want to have a close relationship with someone but you don’t understand his/ her love for you. You can think God is powerful but fully understand his glory that is impossible.
Marlou Peters

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolten Turner on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:22 am

I hadn't previously heard of the idea of macro versus microevolution, but I appreciate you making the distinction. I definitely think you make solid points and would say that they're all correct. I do however still wonder how much evolution has happened in the human species over the years. I would say it's probably a significant amount, but I also don't believe that God evolves. I think that "being made in his image" is more of a entity definition rather than us actually looking like God. I personally don't believe our human bodies identically resemble what God looks like. I guess we'll find out one day!
Kolten Turner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down