Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jacob Gulka: Discussion Questions

2 posters

Go down

Jacob Gulka:  Discussion Questions Empty Jacob Gulka: Discussion Questions

Post by Jacob Gulka Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:00 pm

Question 1.

Story One (OT):  Abraham
To describe God's attributes in the Old Testament I definitely had my eye on the story of Abraham.  
God chose Abraham to be a father of many nations causing him and Sarah to conceive Isaac, though the two of them had basically no ability to conceive at their old age.  
The reason this story outlines God's character was that God out of complete grace with no basis on Abram's character chooses to him as the means to make Himself know to the world.  And God's grace in this situation is shown by using weakness and nothingness to accomplish His goals, much like the section in Second Corinthians where God tell's Paul that "my power is perfected in weakness."
As God chooses Abraham He also tests his faith.  He commands him to go and sacrifice his greatest possession:  his only son, Isaac.  Abraham trusts God in this odd scenario knowing that His way is best and goes with the sacrifice.  And God blesses that and gives him back his son valuing Abraham's trust in God and not possessions.  God is genuine and sincere.  
He is also a promisekeeper as He promises from the beginning that they will have descendants through Isaac.  

Story Two (NT):  The Prodigal Son
Jesus tells a parable that outlines the rebellion of an obstinate and rebellious son towards his father.  The son takes all that is precious given to him of the father and wastes it on immorality.  He later comes to his senses in sorrow and returns to the father in shame.  However, the father welcomes him back and celebrates his son's return, just as if the son had never sinned.  
This parable is in the context of Jesus explaining the Father's character and desire for His children.  God responds just as the father responds in receiving his son back. That the father just wanted relationship with his son and was more than willing to forgive him.  This story outlines God's attribute of forgiveness that He is more than willing to take the hurt and loss if it means getting us back in communion.

Question 2.
Describe what is the most distinguishing attribute or set of attributes describing God's character.

Probably the most important attribute of God to me is the nature of His love. God has a restless devotion towards us, for He is always looking for ways to relate with us. He has a immense desire to have us and wants to commune with us, to have us experience Him. His devotion doesn't permanently discard us either. If we fail Him, He forgives us and doesn't want debts to separate us from Him which is why He atoned for our sins. God is devoted and has passion for us which is amazing!
It is also equally valid that He is holy. That God is set apart and there is none like Him is profound knowing that He is the most sacred and pure person of all existence. This is very important in the case of worshipping Him that we He is holy for if wasn’t it wouldn’t be worth glorifying Him.
Jacob Gulka
Jacob Gulka

Back to top Go down

Jacob Gulka:  Discussion Questions Empty Re: Jacob Gulka: Discussion Questions

Post by Marlou Peters Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:16 am

Jacob Gulka wrote:Question 1.

Story One (OT):  Abraham
To describe God's attributes in the Old Testament I definitely had my eye on the story of Abraham.  
God chose Abraham to be a father of many nations causing him and Sarah to conceive Isaac, though the two of them had basically no ability to conceive at their old age.  
The reason this story outlines God's character was that God out of complete grace with no basis on Abram's character chooses to him as the means to make Himself know to the world.  And God's grace in this situation is shown by using weakness and nothingness to accomplish His goals, much like the section in Second Corinthians where God tell's Paul that "my power is perfected in weakness."
As God chooses Abraham He also tests his faith.  He commands him to go and sacrifice his greatest possession:  his only son, Isaac.  Abraham trusts God in this odd scenario knowing that His way is best and goes with the sacrifice.  And God blesses that and gives him back his son valuing Abraham's trust in God and not possessions.  God is genuine and sincere.  
He is also a promisekeeper as He promises from the beginning that they will have descendants through Isaac.  

Story Two (NT):  The Prodigal Son
Jesus tells a parable that outlines the rebellion of an obstinate and rebellious son towards his father.  The son takes all that is precious given to him of the father and wastes it on immorality.  He later comes to his senses in sorrow and returns to the father in shame.  However, the father welcomes him back and celebrates his son's return, just as if the son had never sinned.  
This parable is in the context of Jesus explaining the Father's character and desire for His children.  God responds just as the father responds in receiving his son back. That the father just wanted relationship with his son and was more than willing to forgive him.  This story outlines God's attribute of forgiveness that He is more than willing to take the hurt and loss if it means getting us back in communion.

Question 2.
Describe what is the most distinguishing attribute or set of attributes describing God's character.

Probably the most important attribute of God to me is the nature of His love.  God has a restless devotion towards us, for He is always looking for ways to relate with us.  He has a immense desire to have us and wants to commune with us, to have us experience Him.  His devotion doesn't permanently discard us either.  If we fail Him, He forgives us and doesn't want debts to separate us from Him which is why He atoned for our sins.  God is devoted and has passion for us which is amazing!
It is also equally valid that He is holy.  That God is set apart and there is none like Him is profound knowing that He is the most sacred and pure person of all existence.  This is very important in the case of worshipping Him that we He is holy for if wasn’t it wouldn’t be worth glorifying Him.  

God is so faithful. It is hard to imagine what Abraham needed to do and actually almost sacrificing his own son. Abraham trusted God and God came through. All of God’s promises are yes and amen! It seems so much easier but sacrificing your own son that is hard.

The narrative of the Prodigal Son I really think that it reflects how Jesus sees us. Some people ran off, deny Him, know Him but still rejecting Him, but once we come back He has his arms wide open to receive us. That is just an awesome story but this is who God actually is and that is awesome! God loves us so much.
Marlou Peters
Marlou Peters

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum