Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question 9 Hope Strelow

3 posters

Go down

Question 9 Hope Strelow Empty Question 9 Hope Strelow

Post by hstrelow Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:52 pm

What can you do to maintain humility as you learn theology?

This was the question I was most excited to answer particularly because I feel this is where I struggle the most, and Michael Bird's response was profound. In Evangelical Theology, Bird discusses the importance of tearing down pride in the pursuit of theology as his final word. From 1 Corinthians 8:1 and John 5:39-40, Bird draws out the importance of letting theology be a love language, not purely knowledge. We must actively engage theology with a love for God and a love for others. Otherwise, we may see ourselves experiencing pride, Pharisaical faith, and coldheartedness. Proper theology will draw us nearer to the heart of God and must be accompanied with deep humility and charity. Bird expresses the value in having a right belief, right practice, AND right heartedness. All of this can be found in seeking Christ before we seek Christology.
hstrelow
hstrelow

Back to top Go down

Question 9 Hope Strelow Empty Re: Question 9 Hope Strelow

Post by ryanelliff Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:38 pm

hstrelow wrote:What can you do to maintain humility as you learn theology?

This was the question I was most excited to answer particularly because I feel this is where I struggle the most, and Michael Bird's response was profound. In Evangelical Theology, Bird discusses the importance of tearing down pride in the pursuit of theology as his final word. From 1 Corinthians 8:1 and John 5:39-40, Bird draws out the importance of letting theology be a love language, not purely knowledge. We must actively engage theology with a love for God and a love for others. Otherwise, we may see ourselves experiencing pride, Pharisaical faith, and coldheartedness. Proper theology will draw us nearer to the heart of God and must be accompanied with deep humility and charity. Bird expresses the value in having a right belief, right practice, AND right heartedness. All of this can be found in seeking Christ before we seek Christology.

I agree completely with your response to this question! This is something I struggle with often when we are overseas. It is very easy to get into to mindset of "I'm an American, I'm a Christian, I'm a missionary, therefore I am better than you and so is my theology". I have to constantly renew my mind and humble myself. One of my most constant prayers is to receive more and more of the heart of God and to see people as He sees them. Not to have a prideful, holier-than-thou attitude, but to have an attitude of grace and compassion towards the children of God. I am so far from perfect and I pray for a broken, compassionate heart for the lost.
ryanelliff
ryanelliff

Back to top Go down

Post by cjgalyen Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:23 am

hstrelow wrote:What can you do to maintain humility as you learn theology?

This Question definitely stuck out to me the most as well. I really like how you outlined Bird's heart behind theology being a love language and not purely knowledge. It encourages and motivates me moving forward to remember that I am seeking theology to pursue God's heart in my own life and my ministry. That it builds the foundation of my belief and therefore impacts my whole faith. And hopefully my faith and heart are both impacted by these classes!
cjgalyen
cjgalyen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down