Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zach Amick Theology Response

Go down

Zach Amick Theology Response Empty Zach Amick Theology Response

Post by ZachAmick Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:39 pm

1.Think back through your week. What evidence of total depravity have you experienced? What evidence of the doctrine that humanity is created in the image of God?

My son, who will be two at the end of June, has been a wonderful example of total depravity recently. When things are not going exactly the way he wants them and he is not being allowed to fulfill his selfish desires, he will become disobedient to his authority by ignoring our instructions, and then progress into violent revolt by slapping, kicking, and headbutting whoever is in his way. It is truly a strange thing to see my young child doing because nobody taught him to do that, what a great reminder that when we have children we are adding sinners to the world.
Shiloh, my son, also bears the image of God. Perhaps the greatest way he does this is by exuding joy. He is a constant source of joy for those around him, making friends and turning heads wherever we go. He finds delight and joy in just about everything he sees and touches. Even the most mundane things like rocks on the ground become curiosities to be studied and toys to be enjoyed. To him everything is a gift from God, which he receives uninhibited with joy. Whether it is things, pets, or people, Shiloh loves them all without reservation.
I really like how Bird referenced The Gulag Archipelago “But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being.” because I watch my son grow, it becomes increasingly apparent that we are both evil sinners and image bearers of God.

2.Select a question from page 695 and write a response.
How does a Christian view of the image of God impact our understanding of human rights?

The great American answer would be to quote the Declaration of Independence, “all men are created equal”. Certainly this is an idea that is rooted in a Christian worldview, but hopefully we can avoid the duplicity that Thomas Jefferson demonstrated. Recognizing the image of God in every single person necessitates that we treat every person with the highest value and respect. Genesis 9:6 shows how highly God values His image in man and how seriously He considers a violation of that image. When you begin looking at other humans through this light it makes many of the sins of the world problematic. How can you go on treating others with disrespect when that means you are disrespecting God? How can you seek to use others for your benefit when that means you are using God? How can you look down on others without placing yourself above God?  How can you look lustfully at another when that means you are looking at God an expecting your selfish sexual desires to be fulfilled? Our perversions and selfish desires of all kinds are exposed and removed when we begin to see every person is made in the image of God.
ZachAmick
ZachAmick

Back to top Go down