Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kevin Stockmann: Discussion Questions

2 posters

Go down

Kevin Stockmann: Discussion Questions Empty Kevin Stockmann: Discussion Questions

Post by stockmannk Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:52 pm

1.Can someone lose their salvation? If so, what would make them lose it? Select a few Bible passages that address this subject and briefly (1-3 sentences each) explain how the verse speaks to this question.

This section of Evangelical Theory was actually very challenging and stretching for me. As a Methodist, I am now realizing that we are very Arminian. I had never really considered that there may be more truth to Calvanism than I would have liked. Romans 9:18 is a really challenging verse for me. It almost seems like it's entirely up to God and that free will does not not matter, and that is very troubling to me. Romans 8:29-30 and Romans 9:19 seem to indicate that God's mercy is the only thing that determines salvation, and that he doles it out to whom he pleases. However, Luke 12:8-10, discussing the unforgivable sin of blaspheming the Holy Spirit seems to be about refusing to accept God's grace and turning from him. How could this be the unforgivable sin, the only sin that prevents salvation if it is not possible to turn from God? But I suppose that Romans 8:28-29 is pretty clear on whether you can be separated from the love of God. It would seem that if God elects us, then there is no possible way for us to turn from him fully, that even if we fall away to some degree that our salvation is still secure. I had always imagined that it is from God's side that we considered "elect", outside of time and space, and that it is free will from our side. However, this does not seem to be the direction that scripture leans.

2.Select a question from page 607 and write a response: If someone asked you, "What does it mean to be saved?" What would you say?

I would say that to be saved means that you have accepted Jesus' offer of free clemency, died to your former self, repented of your sins, and begun living a new life with Jesus as your Lord and the Holy Spirit dwelling within you, sanctifying you over the course of a lifetime. It does not mean that you will live a perfect life or that you will never sin again or even that you will never face hardship again (in fact the bible guarantees you will face hardship from external and internal factors, as well as pushback to your faith and in addition interference from spiritual principalities). It does not mean that you get a "get out of jail free card" and eternal fire insurance. It means an act of loving submission and obedience to Jesus as King, Prophet, and Savior.
stockmannk
stockmannk

Back to top Go down

Kevin Stockmann: Discussion Questions Empty Re: Kevin Stockmann: Discussion Questions

Post by Bethany Hutson Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:35 pm

stockmannk wrote:1.Can someone lose their salvation? If so, what would make them lose it? Select a few Bible passages that address this subject and briefly (1-3 sentences each) explain how the verse speaks to this question.

This section of Evangelical Theory was actually very challenging and stretching for me. As a Methodist, I am now realizing that we are very Arminian. I had never really considered that there may be more truth to Calvanism than I would have liked. Romans 9:18 is a really challenging verse for me. It almost seems like it's entirely up to God and that free will does not not matter, and that is very troubling to me. Romans 8:29-30 and Romans 9:19 seem to indicate that God's mercy is the only thing that determines salvation, and that he doles it out to whom he pleases. However, Luke 12:8-10, discussing the unforgivable sin of blaspheming the Holy Spirit seems to be about refusing to accept God's grace and turning from him. How could this be the unforgivable sin, the only sin that prevents salvation if it is not possible to turn from God?  But I suppose that Romans 8:28-29 is pretty clear on whether you can be separated from the love of God.  It would seem that if God elects us, then there is no possible way for us to turn from him fully, that even if we fall away to some degree that our salvation is still secure. I had always imagined that it is from God's side that we considered "elect", outside of time and space, and that it is free will from our side. However, this does not seem to be the direction that scripture leans.

2.Select a question from page 607 and write a response: If someone asked you, "What does it mean to be saved?" What would you say?

I would say that to be saved means that you have accepted Jesus' offer of free clemency, died to your former self, repented of your sins, and begun living a new life with Jesus as your Lord and the Holy Spirit dwelling within you, sanctifying you over the course of a lifetime. It does not mean that you will live a perfect life or that you will never sin again or even that you will never face hardship again (in fact the bible guarantees you will face hardship from external and internal factors, as well as pushback to your faith and in addition interference from spiritual principalities). It does not mean that you get a "get out of jail free card" and eternal fire insurance. It means an act of loving submission and obedience to Jesus as King, Prophet, and Savior.

Question 2. Great response. It’s really precise and to the point. Salvation is a process over a lifetime. However, we need to accept Jesus’ offer of eternal life, die to our self and be continually renewed, repent of sins, and allow the Holy Spirit to work within us. It’s a life long process. One of the questions that students have been asking lately is why do we face hardships even though we are devoted to faith. We live in a fallen world, but the good news is that Jesus overcame the world. In your response, I also like how you included that being saved means that you submit to God and are obedience to Him as a response of love. This is really important to our walk with God. It gives us freedom!
Bethany Hutson
Bethany Hutson

Back to top Go down