Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brenton Malnofski: Discussion Questions

2 posters

Go down

Brenton Malnofski: Discussion Questions Empty Brenton Malnofski: Discussion Questions

Post by Brenton Malnofski Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:14 pm

1. This is a complicated subject that I honestly don’t have fully developed thoughts about. But from the passages presented in the reading, I’d say that Hebrews points to the real possibility of someone losing their salvation. Hebrews 6:4-9 draws an analogy between those who fall away and land that produces thorns and thistles. Those who fall away are in danger of dragging others along with them, and thus, they can be cursed. Hebrews 10:26-39 warns against any believer falling away, and advises them to keep their confidence until the very end. Perseverance in the face of constant adversity is what every believer faces, and to shrink back from the knowledge of what Jesus has done, and what will do, will cause one to be destroyed. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of believers to not grow complacent or lazy in their faith. If we do not, it is as if we are crucifying Jesus all over again.

2. Question #2

If someone were to ask me, “What must I do to be saved?” I would say that they should follow Jesus. Now, that’s a nuanced thing that must be carefully explained to a new believer. To follow Jesus means recognizing Him as the only begotten Son of God, that He and the Father are one, and that He was sent on our behalf to be a sacrifice for our fallen nature and sins. If one believes Jesus to be all of these things, and submits their life to Him, then they will be saved. As a result of being saved, a believer should be compelled to live a life resembling Jesus. Every believer will be judged by their works, but works alone cannot save. If someone was merely trying to “live a good life”, but hadn’t accepted Jesus in their heart or professed with their mouth, then their good works would be meaningless.
Brenton Malnofski
Brenton Malnofski

Back to top Go down

Brenton Malnofski: Discussion Questions Empty Re: Brenton Malnofski: Discussion Questions

Post by Jacob Gulka Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:12 pm

Response to Question #2:

This was an excellent summary of the attributes of Jesus and the nature of salvation, Brenton! If you were to talk to someone about how to be saved simply saying to "follow Jesus" will likely needs some further explanation. To receive Christ as all He is in your life, and receive all that He has done for you is what salvation looks like. As you said:

"To follow Jesus means recognizing Him as the only begotten Son of God, that He and the Father are one, and that He was sent on our behalf to be a sacrifice for our fallen nature and sins."

And we are saved for something, to become more like Christ, "resembling Jesus". This contains our good works and they follow as the fruit of our salvation. An excellent summary!
Jacob Gulka
Jacob Gulka

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum