Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you think theology will impact your discipleship, ministry, and beliefs?

2 posters

Go down

How do you think theology will impact your discipleship, ministry, and beliefs?  Empty How do you think theology will impact your discipleship, ministry, and beliefs?

Post by Jacob Gulka Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:53 pm

As I study this in-depth theology I believe I there are two possible paths that I could take. One outcome is least preferred, being to only accumulate knowledge. In academics an outcome to studies is accumulation of knowledge. As a graduate I find it very enticing to understand the order of reality whether of the universe, philosophy, or theology. Discovery is exciting and should be encouraged; however, to not use one’s knowledge can lead to dreadful ends. One can get “puffed up” and simply be “book smart”.
I desire to avoid this. I would like my theology of the Gospel to transform my mind so that I become what the scriptures say. Where they talk about God’s goodness and pleasures I want to experience such. As I learn practically of the goodness of God and His Gospel I want to transmit, to pour into other men to do the same, using and not merely hoarding their wisdom. As I disciple and minister to others I want to have a thorough and systematic understanding of my beliefs so that I can communicate it to believers and nonbelievers. This is the second outcome which is preferred.
I trust that this study will empower me study academically and also train up others in the faith.
Jacob Gulka
Jacob Gulka

Back to top Go down

How do you think theology will impact your discipleship, ministry, and beliefs?  Empty Re: How do you think theology will impact your discipleship, ministry, and beliefs?

Post by hstrelow Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:21 pm

Jacob Gulka wrote:As I study this in-depth theology I believe I there are two possible paths that I could take.  One outcome is least preferred, being to only accumulate knowledge.  In academics an outcome to studies is accumulation of knowledge.  As a graduate I find it very enticing to understand the order of reality whether of the universe, philosophy, or theology.  Discovery is exciting and should be encouraged; however, to not use one’s knowledge can lead to dreadful ends.  One can get “puffed up” and simply be “book smart”.  
I desire to avoid this.  I would like my theology of the Gospel to transform my mind so that I become what the scriptures say.  Where they talk about God’s goodness and pleasures I want to experience such.  As I learn practically of the goodness of God and His Gospel I want to transmit, to pour into other men to do the same, using and not merely hoarding their wisdom.  As I disciple and minister to others I want to have a thorough and systematic understanding of my beliefs so that I can communicate it to believers and nonbelievers.  This is the second outcome which is preferred.    
I trust that this study will empower me study academically and also train up others in the faith.

I relate deeply with your response. When I first began studying theology a couple of years ago, I found myself easily seeking knowledge instead of seeking Jesus. It was no surprise that a couple of months later, I was filled with pride. Once I saw this fruit, I became afraid of theology because I believed it was bound to puff up. After the reading, I feel like I can enter into this space with a new lens. I am looking forward, like you are, to seeing Jesus and letting the Gospel transform my heart and mind. Thank you so much for sharing this!
hstrelow
hstrelow

Back to top Go down