Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Katie Averitt: Theology Questions

Go down

Katie Averitt: Theology Questions Empty Katie Averitt: Theology Questions

Post by Katie A Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:19 am

1. Share your summary of the Epistles contribution to eschatology.

Eschatology is typically considered the portion of theology which concerns death, judgement, and the final destiny of the soul and humankind. While this is all true, Bird uses the Epistles to show that “eschatology is not an afterthought but is one of the main building blocks in constructing an Evangelical theology” (235). In doing this, he quotes Moltmann as he speaks of how Christianity IS eschatology because it represents hope and forward thinking which shapes the present. (236). In my opinion I think that this is clearly exemplified in 2nd Peter, most specifically in chapter 3 verses 11 through 15. It is in this section that Peter discusses that because everything around us is going to be destroyed, we should be motivated to live holy and godly lives. Peter continues on to say that while one day have been in Earth will be destroyed and a new heaven and Earth will be created, we should make every effort in the meantime to create peace here on Earth. Verse 15 then talks about how it is God's patience which allows time for people to be saved. This passage does well to paint a picture of the idea that what is yet to come in shaping the reality of what exist in the present, which ties in well to one of the ways the Bird defines eschatology.

2. (Question #1 on p.339) Explain how the kingdom is both a present experience and future Hope. What do we already have and what do we still hope for?

One of the incredible things about the gospel is that not only is it something that we look forward to, but it is also something that is existent in reality right now. An interesting finding from Bird concludes that the Latin word “ēngiken”, which means “near” in scripture, implies that there's a “heightened state of fulfillment and nearness to the audience who share in the forecast by simply hearing the announcement” (249). Additionally, Jesus says in Luke17:20-21, “The coming of the kingdom of God is not something that can be observed, nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is in your midst.” The Kingdom of heaven came to Earth when Jesus did, and the Kingdom that we have to look forward to is the one which will be fulfilled when he returns. Jesus says in John 14:2-4 “There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. And you know the way to where I am going.” The Kingdom of Heaven is also presented as something to look forward to, and Jesus is the only way to get there.
Katie A
Katie A

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum