Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Theology Questions for Next Learning Party

+10
Marie Hugershoff
S.h.ave
Alicia.O.
Amanda Middleton
Jacob Gulka
Admin
Kolten Turner
ZachAmick
Bethany Hutson
hstrelow
14 posters

Go down

Theology Questions for Next Learning Party Empty Theology Questions for Next Learning Party

Post by Admin Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:28 am

Write a question from this month's material that you are interested in discussing at the next learning party.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://incmit.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Theology Questions for Next Learning Party Empty Re: Theology Questions for Next Learning Party

Post by hstrelow Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:20 pm

One question I have for the next learning party pertains to what we read in Turning Points chapter 1: Is there any value in reading texts that were not canonized? Would it have similar value to reading a Christian book today? Why don't we read them, and should we read them?
hstrelow
hstrelow

Back to top Go down

Theology Questions for Next Learning Party Empty Re: Theology Questions for Next Learning Party

Post by Bethany Hutson Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:55 pm

Admin wrote:Write a question from this month's material that you are interested in discussing at the next learning party.

Why have there been so many denominations of Christianity formed and how do you think people chose what they believe for the most part?
Bethany Hutson
Bethany Hutson

Back to top Go down

Post by ZachAmick Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:20 pm

The Apostles' Creed says, "he(Jesus) descended into hell"
Is that accurate? Where did Jesus go and what did He do while He was dead?
ZachAmick
ZachAmick

Back to top Go down

Theology Questions for Next Learning Party Empty Theology Questions For Next Learning Party

Post by Kolten Turner Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:47 pm

Admin wrote:Write a question from this month's material that you are interested in discussing at the next learning party.

How was it decided which texts would be canonized when there were so many being used by the early Christian Church?
Kolten Turner
Kolten Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Bethany Hutson wrote:

Why have there been so many denominations of Christianity formed and how do you think people chose what they believe for the most part?

Bethany, this is an important question, thank you for asking it. Let's wait to discuss this later as we continue reading Turning Points. The rise of denominations is a relatively recent phenomenon that will be highlighted in chapters 6-8. I will also circle back around and address this at the end of the year to make sure we understand where the various denominations came from. But how about you keep an eye out for how the church handled differences of opinions as the story unfolds, and what major questions tend to divide the groups.

-Josh
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://incmit.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacob Gulka Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:22 pm

The apostles would purely preach from the Old Testament in light of Jesus' life, and they would write those teachings in epistles. So my question is when did people start treating their writings as scripture and canon? Also I am aware that there are several other writings from the apostles and my question is why aren't those as well treated as such?
Jacob Gulka
Jacob Gulka

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacob Gulka Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:31 pm

hstrelow wrote:One question I have for the next learning party pertains to what we read in Turning Points chapter 1: Is there any value in reading texts that were not canonized? Would it have similar value to reading a Christian book today? Why don't we read them, and should we read them?

This is a question I've always considered. The best answer that I've come to concerning books like the Apocrypha and other New Testament writings is that they are more so informative and helpful for expanding and perhaps giving context to when scripture was written.
Take for instance a couple of books from the Jewish apocrypha: 1 and 2 Maccabees. These books aren't included in Protestant canon as scripture, so they aren't on the level of say 1 and 2 Chronicles. However that doesn't mean they aren't helpful. These two books are actually a great history lesson during the 2nd Temple period, which I believe is helpful because there is at least a 400 year gap between the Testaments and I personally believe that reading the Apocrypha (being written within that gap) is helpful for understanding Jewish beliefs and background around the time of Jesus.
Jacob Gulka
Jacob Gulka

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Middleton Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Is it more effective to describe the Gospel extensively with lots of detail or to give a short summary of what it means?
Amanda Middleton
Amanda Middleton

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia.O. Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:52 pm

I feel like this is a loaded question that I am going to try to ask clearly because my mind is very scattered with it.

In Genesis 3:22 God says “The man has now become more like one of us, knowing good and evil…” This statement concludes that prior to eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil they didn’t have this knowledge. So did they have the knowledge to know the serpent was a liar...or evil? Seems like they could have this discernment since they were made in God’s image… so did having the knowledge of good and evil revealed their sinful nature only? Why did the fall lead to Adam and Eve becoming more like God?

Alicia.O.
Alicia.O.

Back to top Go down

Theology Questions for Next Learning Party Empty Catholic Church Vs. Coptic Church

Post by S.h.ave Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:30 pm

It seems that the Catholic Church is given much light in this chapter, having been founded by Peter. What led to the Catholic Church having creeds and being the standard over the Coptic Church in Egypt, founded by Mark? I've heard that both churches are similar and founded at similar times. Why the rise of one and not the other?
S.h.ave
S.h.ave

Back to top Go down

Post by Marie Hugershoff Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 pm

amiddleton wrote:

Is it more effective to describe the Gospel extensively with lots of detail or to give a short summary of what it means?
I had the same question. I feel like the book had a very long and in depth definition of the gospel and then a very short and concise one. I normally share a shorter version of the gospel when talking to non believers but is that less beneficial to them, than an in depth definition?
Marie Hugershoff
Marie Hugershoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Katie A Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:24 pm

Prior to reading the Evangelical Theology textbook, I didn't realize that there was any other way to view and build theology other than through a gospel lens.
If Evangelical theology is is built upon the foundation of the gospel, what is the foundation for other forms of Christian Theology?
Katie A
Katie A

Back to top Go down

Theology Questions for Next Learning Party Empty Differences between Catholic, Orthodox, and Prostetant Doctrine

Post by cjgalyen Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:27 am

My question is how should we approach these differences in Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant doctrines especially when ministering to people with these backgrounds? What is the common truth to rest on?
cjgalyen
cjgalyen

Back to top Go down

Post by Carson Bledsoe Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:01 pm

How does one practice good theology, by way of tradition, without the traditions becoming legalistic?
Carson Bledsoe
Carson Bledsoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Rodriguez Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:05 pm

How do we reconcile the fact that there is little hard evidence for the about a half century from the New Testament era to about 130 in the history of the church? How do we account for this missing piece? How do we account for the bias of the interpreters of this time or for our own bias in interpreting the history of Christianity?
Jessica Rodriguez
Jessica Rodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down