Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hope Strelow: Discussion Questions

2 posters

Go down

Hope Strelow: Discussion Questions Empty Hope Strelow: Discussion Questions

Post by hstrelow Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:16 pm

1.If you had to pick two stories (narratives specifically, not just passages) from the Bible that best illustrate what God is like, which would you choose? Select one story from the Old Testament and one from the New Testament, then explain your choices.

From the Old Testament, I would choose the narrative of Joseph (Genesis 37-50). For the New Testament, I would choose the story of the woman caught in adultery (John 8:1-11). I chose the story of Joseph because this story exemplifies God's omnipotence and omnibenevolence. It also highlights His overarching story of redemption. We see God's omnipotence and omnibenevolence in how He turns every situation for the good of Joseph and even the good of Egypt. He uses Joseph's brothers placing him in slavery as a means to exalt Jospeh among the Egyptians. This leads to God being glorified through Jospeh in visions and the protection of Egypt. This story also shows God's redemptive story. In this story we see the forgiveness of Joseph towards his brothers and God's purpose to turn what was intended for evil to bring forth goodness.

I chose the story of the woman caught in adultery because in this story we see God's attributes of holiness and love as well as a picture of His redemptive story. God's holiness is evidenced in how Jesus was the only person who had a right to cast the stone (he was without sin). This exemplifies how Jesus was holy and pure. But in his holiness, he sought to forgive and wipe clean, thus showing his deep love for people. His heart was always to heal. The redemptive story is pictured in Jesus's forgiveness of her sins and calling her to be holy as he is holy. God's grace is clearly seen in this passage.

2. Describe what is the most distinguishing attribute or set of attributes describing God's character.

When reading Evangelical Theology, Bird describes that there are two fundamental ways to describe God's character. There are incommunicable divine attributes as well as communicable divine attributes. Incommunicable divine attributes are attributes that are limited to God and unable to be attained in humanity (such as omniscience, omnipotence, etc). The communicable attributes describe God in ways that humans are also capable of being described (such as faithful, loving, etc). Bird then goes on to describe the three attributes that most accurately describe the essence of who God is: holy, glorious, and loving. What is astounding about these attributes is that they are all communicable attributes. God is infinitely glorious and He shares that glory with us through His son Jesus. God is definitively loving and we are giving the commandment to love God and love others. Finally, God is filled with holiness and imparts that call to holiness through Jesus.
hstrelow
hstrelow

Back to top Go down

Hope Strelow: Discussion Questions Empty Re: Hope Strelow: Discussion Questions

Post by Jessica Rodriguez Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:42 pm

hstrelow wrote:1.If you had to pick two stories (narratives specifically, not just passages) from the Bible that best illustrate what God is like, which would you choose? Select one story from the Old Testament and one from the New Testament, then explain your choices.

From the Old Testament, I would choose the narrative of Joseph (Genesis 37-50). For the New Testament, I would choose the story of the woman caught in adultery (John 8:1-11). I chose the story of Joseph because this story exemplifies God's omnipotence and omnibenevolence. It also highlights His overarching story of redemption. We see God's omnipotence and omnibenevolence in how He turns every situation for the good of Joseph and even the good of Egypt. He uses Joseph's brothers placing him in slavery as a means to exalt Jospeh among the Egyptians. This leads to God being glorified through Jospeh in visions and the protection of Egypt. This story also shows God's redemptive story. In this story we see the forgiveness of Joseph towards his brothers and God's purpose to turn what was intended for evil to bring forth goodness.

I chose the story of the woman caught in adultery because in this story we see God's attributes of holiness and love as well as a picture of His redemptive story. God's holiness is evidenced in how Jesus was the only person who had a right to cast the stone (he was without sin). This exemplifies how Jesus was holy and pure. But in his holiness, he sought to forgive and wipe clean, thus showing his deep love for people. His heart was always to heal. The redemptive story is pictured in Jesus's forgiveness of her sins and calling her to be holy as he is holy. God's grace is clearly seen in this passage.

2. Describe what is the most distinguishing attribute or set of attributes describing God's character.

When reading Evangelical Theology, Bird describes that there are two fundamental ways to describe God's character. There are incommunicable divine attributes as well as communicable divine attributes. Incommunicable divine attributes are attributes that are limited to God and unable to be attained in humanity (such as omniscience, omnipotence, etc). The communicable attributes describe God in ways that humans are also capable of being described (such as faithful, loving, etc). Bird then goes on to describe the three attributes that most accurately describe the essence of who God is: holy, glorious, and loving. What is astounding about these attributes is that they are all communicable attributes. God is infinitely glorious and He shares that glory with us through His son Jesus. God is definitively loving and we are giving the commandment to love God and love others. Finally, God is filled with holiness and imparts that call to holiness through Jesus.

The story of Joseph is one of my favorite stories in the Old Testament and I agree that it shows many attributes of God, including His faithfulness, His unchanging character, omnipotence and omnibenevolence. The woman caught in adultery really exemplifies the oneness of Jesus’s personhood but also his 2 natures being fully human and fully God. He is fully human in that He includes Himself in the statement “let him with no sin be the first to cast a stone.” Yet, being fully God, He was able to resist all temptation for sin, was sinless, and yet still didn’t cast the stone. This demonstrates God’s great redemptive plan, foreknowledge, holiness, forgiveness, and love. I completely agree that it is absolutely astounding how we are able to have the impartation of God’s love and glory working in and through our lives.
Jessica Rodriguez
Jessica Rodriguez

Back to top Go down