Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kevin Stockmann: Discussion Questions

Go down

Kevin Stockmann: Discussion Questions Empty Kevin Stockmann: Discussion Questions

Post by stockmannk Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:10 am

Is Chi Alpha a church? Should a student be involved in a local church on Sunday mornings in addition to their involvement in Chi Alpha? Are your
reasons more pragmatic or theological?

Chi Alpha is not a church. Chi Alpha is a para-church for a multitude of reasons. First off, the are not a source of ecclesiastical authority, Chi Alpha is a missionary organization. It is similar in some ways to Live|Dead and other missionary groups which must raise support in order to sustain themselves and have a connection to denominations but are not part of the ecclesiastical structure. They are separate. Now Chi Alpha has a tight connection to the AG, although I am not well-versed in my knowledge of missionary/denominational relationships so I cannot say whether it is closer or more separate than others currently. However, it seems to enjoy considerable support from the AG denomination, even having all its offices in Springfield like the rest of the missionary divisions. Chi Alpha is ran by a staff that engage with students and create a community for them to belong to on campus, but is not meant to replace traditional Sunday morning church. It is important for students to get involved with a local church as well. I believe that this is important for a few reasons.

A) Getting involved with the community is a good way to put down roots and feel more connected to the college home.
B) It is good to be in a brick-and-mortar church (as opposed to a room that may jump around on campus). This is what they will be involved in after college, and also exposes them to what the real church is like. Chi Alpha ministers specifically to college students, not the families and diverse people that you will find involved in a traditional church. They need to get used to being involved in a church that reflects actual adult community and the real world. They will be challenged here in ways that they would not in Chi Alpha, and have access to many things that churches can concentrate on such as Lent, Holy Week services, etc.
C) Supporting local churches, sending college students their way, and increasing connection is important for the sustainability, resources, and success of Chi Alpha's organization.

The first and last are pragmatic reasons, the middle is more theological, I believe.
stockmannk
stockmannk

Back to top Go down