Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Elliff: Theology Questions

2 posters

Go down

Ryan Elliff: Theology Questions Empty Ryan Elliff: Theology Questions

Post by ryanelliff Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:34 pm

1.Think back through your week. What evidence of total depravity have you experienced? What evidence of the doctrine that humanity is created in the image of God?

When I think about total depravity, my mind goes pretty quickly to my kids. Not because they are bad kids, but because they have yet to be extremely influenced by the world around them. As adults we can pick up habits or learned actions from those around us, but as children we just do what we want until we are taught whether that thing is good or bad. Most specifically I think about my daughter, Rylie. She has a very vivid imagination and will often times make up a story or lie, instead of telling the truth. This is not a learned behavior, but it is in her nature. We have not taught her to lie. I believe this character trait is because of our sin nature and inclination towards selfish desires. She would rather put the blame on someone else, than take responsibility for her actions and possible receive punishment. On the other hand, my kids are also great examples of how we are made in the image of God, and for the same reasons. They are not yet manipulated by the world around them, so they are authentic in everything they do. Each of my kids are very different, so I can see several different characteristics of God in them. Rylie is so creative and the stuff she comes up with just blows my mind! I see the creativity of the Father in the same way. Just looking around at nature, my mind is blown and I stand in awe of what He created. My son Ezra is full of patience and kindness (I learn a lot from him!). He reminds me that our heavenly Father has so much patience for us, and His kindness knows no end even though we don’t deserve it!

2. What sets humanity apart from the animal world?

The first thing that sets humanity apart from the animal world is that God has given man dominion over animals. In Genesis 1:28, God says “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”. This separation puts us as rulers and the rest of creation as ours to rule. Secondly, humanity is set apart from the animal world because humans are made in such a wonderfully complex way. The way our bodies function, the detailed intricacies of every body part, and even how our brain works, are all indicators that we are “fearfully and wonderfully made”. Lastly, I believe the main thing that sets us apart from the animal world is that we are sons and daughter of the Creator Himself! When God created man, he breathed life into him and with that a part of Himself! We are the crown jewel of all creation! God created us in His image and allows us to have His spirit living inside of us, something that none of the creatures in the animal world possess.
ryanelliff
ryanelliff

Back to top Go down

Ryan Elliff: Theology Questions Empty Re: Ryan Elliff: Theology Questions

Post by cjgalyen Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:19 pm

Ryan, I enjoyed reading your post! What stuck out to me the most was your highlighting of total depravity and God's design in your children. That is one thing I thought about as well, that our humanity can come out in children, both our amazing design that God created, as well as our brokenness. Thankfully, we have hope in Jesus to heal us of our brokenness. And finally, I'm glad your answer to the second question revolved around Scripture because my mind immediately jumped to the fact that we have opposable thumbs.
cjgalyen
cjgalyen

Back to top Go down