Marie Hugershoff: Discussion Questions

Go down

Marie Hugershoff: Discussion Questions Empty Marie Hugershoff: Discussion Questions

Post by Marie Hugershoff on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:39 am

1.What do you think was Bird’s strongest point in his explanation of “baptism in the Spirit”? What was Anderson’s strongest point?
-      To be honest reading Bird's explanation of baptism in the Holy Spirit left me confused and frustrated. I liked the section about The Holy Spirit and the Church. I thought this section was Bird's strongest because breaking down how the Spirit works in the church shows how powerful the Holy Spirit is and how much He is needed. The section on Baptism in the Spirit and being Filled with the Spirit was the section that left me frustrated because to me it didn't feel like any ideas about the Holy Spirit were clarified, it felt like he was just arguing semantics. In one part he explains that he thinks that Baptism in the Spirit happens during conversion while all other experiences with the Holy Spirit after that are called being filled with the Spirit. I think that most Christians believe that you have an experience with the Holy Spirit at conversion and where people start to argue are the experiences with the Holy Spirit after conversion. In my opinion it didn't matter what these experiences are called, I was just wanting to learn more about what these experiences are like and why some people don't believe in them and in my opinion Bird didn't accomplish this.
      After reading Anderson's article I was left with a lot of questions but also a lot of clarification on Baptism in the Holy Spirit. One part of the article that I really liked was how he clarified that you do not need to be baptized in the Holy Spirit to do ministry or even to do ministry well, but that being in the Holy Spirit adds more to what you have already been given. I thought that the strongest part of the article was when Anderson wrote about Vinson Synan's paper "Policy Decisions on Tongues As an Indicator of Future Church Growth". In his paper he compares the growth of Pentecostal churches vs other denominations who have rejected the baptism in the Holy Spirit. It was incredible to see how much more Pentecostal churches grew and as a missionary who wants to grow the body, it helped me logically see what a difference baptism in the Holy Spirit can make on your ministry.

2. Does the Holy Spirit still reveal new truths?
-     Yes.  Bird writes the Holy Spirit is "the material source, preserver, and authority of God's revelation". The scripture of filled with examples of how the Holy Spirit revealed new truths to people and I think that He is still doing it today. I think that the new truths that the Holy Spirit reveals are more personal. I'm not sure that the Holy Spirit reveals new truths that nobody knows. The Holy Spirit guides us and reveals truths about God and about ourselves that our new to us, even if they aren't new to all of Christianity. I know personally the Holy Spirit has revealed new truths about myself, like brokenness that God wants to work in, so that way I can become more like Christ, or He has reveled new meaning to scripture so I can better understand God.
Marie Hugershoff
Marie Hugershoff

Back to top Go down

Marie Hugershoff: Discussion Questions Empty Re: Marie Hugershoff: Discussion Questions

Post by Kolten Turner on Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:20 pm

I think the reason you may have become so frustrated with Bird in his argument is that he wasn't trying to prove how the gifts of the Holy Spirit are used in the church today. Rather, he was clarifying when is the true "Baptism of the Holy Spirit". Because the pentecostal movement has put so much emphasis on this one portion of scripture, it has led them to encompass the Baptism of the Holy Spirit under one secondary event that may or may not happen sometime after conversion. In reality, Bird is saying that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit happens at conversion, but a filling of the Holy Spirit can happen at anytime. He definitely doesn't focus on how the church uses the gifts of the Holy Spirit today and that seems to be what you were wanting from him.
Kolten Turner
Kolten Turner

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum