Jessica Rodriguez Discussion Questions

Go down

Jessica Rodriguez Discussion Questions Empty Jessica Rodriguez Discussion Questions

Post by Jessica Rodriguez on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:42 pm

1. The New Testament gives us many ways to understand the significance of Jesus’ death and resurrection. Choose one model of the atonement that you have not used before. Summarize how you could share the gospel on campus using that model.

Ans: I have not used the recapitulation mode of atonement before. If I were explaining to one of my Muslim friends, for example, I could share how Adam sinned in the beginning and according to Jewish history, he was considered a son of God and Israel was considered “son of God.” After establishing that we all are sinful and live in the reality of Adam’s disobedience to God, I would explain how Jesus, The Son of God, is of the same type as Adam. The obedience he lived out his entire life, and most importantly and necessarily, his death on the cross, now makes us new creations, partaking in the freedom of Christ. Christ’s death is the death we deserve because of our sin-nature, because of Adam. And Christ’s resurrection and unified life with God is what we get to partake in, because of Jesus’s representation of humanity instead of Adam. Jesus’ incarnation as a man on earth, fully human, means He was able to fulfill the ultimate sacrifice that had to be paid on our behalf to satisfy God’s wrath and to redeem Israel and all of humanity from the dominion of evil.

2. Pg. 487 #2. Why was it necessary for Jesus to be born of a virgin?

Ans: It was necessary for Jesus to be born of a virgin because it demonstrates his divine person and his human birth and life, along with his fulfilling Jewish scripture and hopes, and his relationship with humanity. It shows that Jesus was fully man and fully God. Since he was born of a virgin, he has no earthly father and he truly is the son of God. But, since he was born of a virgin and not just dropped down out of heaven, he is truly a man. He was born in the most humble way, in a manger, and through the most human event of childbirth. It shows the depth of how God humbled himself, lower than the angels so that we might be higher than the angels. The virgin birth means that God’s redemption of humanity comes through partnership with humanity and through the covenants He had given Israel. Through the virgin conception, before Jesus even died on the cross, new life was beginning and God’s kingdom was starting to break through into this old creation. Also, since Jesus was born of a virgin, it fulfills prophecies, typologies, and the covenants of ancient Israel and shows that God is a God of His word.
Jessica Rodriguez
Jessica Rodriguez

Back to top Go down

Jessica Rodriguez Discussion Questions Empty Re: Jessica Rodriguez Discussion Questions

Post by Marlou Peters on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:14 pm

Jessica Rodriguez wrote:1. The New Testament gives us many ways to understand the significance of Jesus’ death and resurrection. Choose one model of the atonement that you have not used before. Summarize how you could share the gospel on campus using that model.

Ans: I have not used the recapitulation mode of atonement before. If I were explaining to one of my Muslim friends, for example, I could share how Adam sinned in the beginning and according to Jewish history, he was considered a son of God and Israel was considered “son of God.” After establishing that we all are sinful and live in the reality of Adam’s disobedience to God, I would explain how Jesus, The Son of God, is of the same type as Adam. The obedience he lived out his entire life, and most importantly and necessarily, his death on the cross, now makes us new creations, partaking in the freedom of Christ. Christ’s death is the death we deserve because of our sin-nature, because of Adam. And Christ’s resurrection and unified life with God is what we get to partake in, because of Jesus’s representation of humanity instead of Adam. Jesus’ incarnation as a man on earth, fully human, means He was able to fulfill the ultimate sacrifice that had to be paid on our behalf to satisfy God’s wrath and to redeem Israel and all of humanity from the dominion of evil.

2. Pg. 487 #2. Why was it necessary for Jesus to be born of a virgin?

Ans: It was necessary for Jesus to be born of a virgin because it demonstrates his divine person and his human birth and life, along with his fulfilling Jewish scripture and hopes, and his relationship with humanity. It shows that Jesus was fully man and fully God. Since he was born of a virgin, he has no earthly father and he truly is the son of God. But, since he was born of a virgin and not just dropped down out of heaven, he is truly a man. He was born in the most humble way, in a manger, and through the most human event of childbirth. It shows the depth of how God humbled himself, lower than the angels so that we might be higher than the angels. The virgin birth means that God’s redemption of humanity comes through partnership with humanity and through the covenants He had given Israel. Through the virgin conception, before Jesus even died on the cross, new life was beginning and God’s kingdom was starting to break through into this old creation. Also, since Jesus was born of a virgin, it fulfills prophecies, typologies, and the covenants of ancient Israel and shows that God is a God of His word.

I agree with you that is was very necessary for Jesus to be born of a virgin. Jesus came to be just like on of us and He had the same temptations that we have right now. I think it is important that He just didn't fall out of heaven but was born in a way every human being is born. This is something only the Holy Spirit could do. That makes it even more awesome and like a God thing, because He can do everything. It wouldn't make sense for him to just fall down because He came to be just like us. I agree that He lowered himself for us. It does divine who Jesus really is and that He was fully man and fully God. Not just one or the other but He is both. It is a good question because I never have really thought about this.
Marlou Peters
Marlou Peters

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum