Marie Hugershoff- Theology Questions

Go down

Marie Hugershoff- Theology Questions Empty Marie Hugershoff- Theology Questions

Post by Marie Hugershoff on Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:41 am

1.The New Testament gives us many ways to understand the significance of Jesus’ death and resurrection. Choose one model of the atonement that you have not used before. Summarize how you could share the gospel on campus using that model.

- All of the modes of atonement that Bird describes have great information in them. They all express why Jesus' death and resurrection is significant, but I don't think one alone expresses the full significance of the death and resurrection. If I were to use just one I would use Christus Victor. It is undeniable to all people that there is bad in the world. It is easy to see that there is death and evil, so to share the gospel with someone on campus I would tell them about the hope that we have, in spite of death and evil, because of Jesus' death and resurrection.

While I was a student I went to a vertitas forum, at the forum there was an atheist professor that said the only thing that he lacks, compared to christians, is hope. He was talking about how there is so much pain, and evil and sadness in the world and that he had no hope for the future, no hope that things could get better and no hope that he could help people. He said that he was just one person so he couldn't have an impact, and he admitted that most people do not act in favor of the greater good, but most people act in selfishness. When sharing the gospel with someone on campus I would explain that all evil comes from the devil in the form of sin. I would explain that Jesus' death on the cross was a victory over evil and now we have the power to resist sin and can be forgiven for all of the sin that we have committed and will commit. I think explain the gospel to someone by telling them that there is hope because evil and death have been defeated would be very attractive to a nonbeliever.    

2.Why was it necessary for Jesus to be born of a virgin?  

-  I think this is a really difficult question to answer. Even after reading about it in Evangelical Theology I was still confused on why it was necessary for Jesus to be born of a virgin. Bird explains that some of the reasons are to show Jesus's divinity while also showing his humanity, to show the coming kingdom, and the triumph of God over evil. When reading these things I couldn't help but think that maybe there were easier ways for God to express all of these things, or there were other ways that the birth of Jesus could have happened and that maybe they would be just as powerful. As I was thinking through this the Holy Spirit reminded me of one of my friends who has 2 adopted sons. She was telling me once how she was explaining to her sons that Jesus was "adopted" just like they were. She explained to me how she felt like God had made Jesus be born of a virgin just so she could share with her sons that just like Mary and Joseph loved and cared for this boy who was not their own, they do too. She said that it was amazing how she can tell her kids that their not so normal family reflects the family of our savior. I'm not saying that that is the reason why Jesus was born of a virgin, but I was reminded that God's plan is perfect and sometimes it is too complex for us to understand. Jesus could have been born a different way and the narrative could have been just as powerful, but then would my friend's kids feel this amazing connection with Jesus? Probably not. Yes the virgin birth expresses so many amazing things about God's power and Jesus' divinity and humanity and these ideas are of course so important. But I also think that God knew that the virgin birth would connect with certain people in much smaller ways, that would cause incredible impact on their lives. God's plan is perfect and I think that sometimes that is the best answer.
Marie Hugershoff
Marie Hugershoff

Back to top Go down

Marie Hugershoff- Theology Questions Empty Re: Marie Hugershoff- Theology Questions

Post by Jessica Rodriguez on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:31 pm

Marie Hugershoff wrote:1.The New Testament gives us many ways to understand the significance of Jesus’ death and resurrection. Choose one model of the atonement that you have not used before. Summarize how you could share the gospel on campus using that model.

- All of the modes of atonement that Bird describes have great information in them. They all express why Jesus' death and resurrection is significant, but I don't think one alone expresses the full significance of the death and resurrection. If I were to use just one I would use Christus Victor. It is undeniable to all people that there is bad in the world. It is easy to see that there is death and evil, so to share the gospel with someone on campus I would tell them about the hope that we have, in spite of death and evil, because of Jesus' death and resurrection.

While I was a student I went to a vertitas forum, at the forum there was an atheist professor that said the only thing that he lacks, compared to christians, is hope. He was talking about how there is so much pain, and evil and sadness in the world and that he had no hope for the future, no hope that things could get better and no hope that he could help people. He said that he was just one person so he couldn't have an impact, and he admitted that most people do not act in favor of the greater good, but most people act in selfishness. When sharing the gospel with someone on campus I would explain that all evil comes from the devil in the form of sin. I would explain that Jesus' death on the cross was a victory over evil and now we have the power to resist sin and can be forgiven for all of the sin that we have committed and will commit. I think explain the gospel to someone by telling them that there is hope because evil and death have been defeated would be very attractive to a nonbeliever.    

2.Why was it necessary for Jesus to be born of a virgin?  

-  I think this is a really difficult question to answer. Even after reading about it in Evangelical Theology I was still confused on why it was necessary for Jesus to be born of a virgin. Bird explains that some of the reasons are to show Jesus's divinity while also showing his humanity, to show the coming kingdom, and the triumph of God over evil. When reading these things I couldn't help but think that maybe there were easier ways for God to express all of these things, or there were other ways that the birth of Jesus could have happened and that maybe they would be just as powerful. As I was thinking through this the Holy Spirit reminded me of one of my friends who has 2 adopted sons. She was telling me once how she was explaining to her sons that Jesus was "adopted" just like they were. She explained to me how she felt like God had made Jesus be born of a virgin just so she could share with her sons that just like Mary and Joseph loved and cared for this boy who was not their own, they do too. She said that it was amazing how she can tell her kids that their not so normal family reflects the family of our savior. I'm not saying that that is the reason why Jesus was born of a virgin, but I was reminded that God's plan is perfect and sometimes it is too complex for us to understand. Jesus could have been born a different way and the narrative could have been just as powerful, but then would my friend's kids feel this amazing connection with Jesus? Probably not. Yes the virgin birth expresses so many amazing things about God's power and Jesus' divinity and humanity and these ideas are of course so important. But I also think that God knew that the virgin birth would connect with certain people in much smaller ways, that would cause incredible impact on their lives. God's plan is perfect and I think that sometimes that is the best answer.

I completely agree with what Marie said about sharing the gospel through the mode of Christus Victor. There is so much evil and chaos in this world and it is so evident to all people if they are not completely self-absorbed. Everyone is searching for victory over their self-destructive habits or the things they do to hurt other people. Everyone is searching for peace and an escape from suffering. Although Jesus doesn't give us an escape from suffering in this world, He does give us hope, like Marie said. He has overcome the woes of this world. He has victory over Satan, and death and sin. We can endure suffering and pain in this world, because of the hope we have in Jesus, who has saved us from our sin, brokenness, mess, and chaotic environments. Jesus as the victor gives us power to overcome our circumstances, no matter how bad or hard they are. He is the way and the truth and the life. I think this is a great mode to share the gospel with anyone on campus.
Jessica Rodriguez
Jessica Rodriguez

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum