Amanda Middleton Theology Response

Go down

Amanda Middleton Theology Response Empty Amanda Middleton Theology Response

Post by Amanda Middleton on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:15 pm

1.The New Testament gives us many ways to understand the significance of Jesus’ death and resurrection. Choose one model of the atonement that you have not used before. Summarize how you could share the gospel on campus using that model.

Using the model of recapitulation would be useful for sharing the gospel with anyone that is familiar with the old testament. At IU we have a large Jewish student population. My freshman year one of my floormates was Jewish and I loved asking her questions about her faith. Jews are very familiar with the old testament, so using the model of recapitulation may be a great way to share the good news of the gospel with them. By showing that Jesus is the new and better Adam they may have a better understanding of the purpose of the Messiah. Through this model they may start to recognize that the life of Jesus matches up with the Messiah and then they become a believer and get saved and they tell all their Jewish friends and all their Jewish friends get saved.

2. Why was it necessary for Jesus to be born of a virgin?
I would argue it was not necessary for Jesus to be born of a virgin. Without the virgin birth, I still believe God's will could have been accomplished. However, God chose for Jesus to be born of a virgin and so we know it was important.
God used a virgin because Jesus had to be of human descent otherwise his human nature could be rejected. If Jesus was not fully human, his death and resurrection could not provide us our salvation and the entire Gospel would be moot.
Jesus was not born of two human parents either. If he had been, it would be easy to debate the deity nature of Jesus. The fact that Jesus was born of a virgin birth is peculiar and speaks to new creation, which he would put into motion.

Amanda Middleton
Amanda Middleton

Back to top Go down

Amanda Middleton Theology Response Empty Re: Amanda Middleton Theology Response

Post by Alicia.O. on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:07 am

Amanda Middleton wrote:1.The New Testament gives us many ways to understand the significance of Jesus’ death and resurrection. Choose one model of the atonement that you have not used before. Summarize how you could share the gospel on campus using that model.

Using the model of recapitulation would be useful for sharing the gospel with anyone that is familiar with the old testament. At IU we have a large Jewish student population. My freshman year one of my floormates was Jewish and I loved asking her questions about her faith. Jews are very familiar with the old testament, so using the model of recapitulation may be a great way to share the good news of the gospel with them. By showing that Jesus is the new and better Adam they may have a better understanding of the purpose of the Messiah. Through this model they may start to recognize that the life of Jesus matches up with the Messiah and then they become a believer and get saved and they tell all their Jewish friends and all their Jewish friends get saved.

2. Why was it necessary for Jesus to be born of a virgin?
I would argue it was not necessary for Jesus to be born of a virgin. Without the virgin birth, I still believe God's will could have been accomplished. However, God chose for Jesus to be born of a virgin and so we know it was important.
God used a virgin because Jesus had to be of human descent otherwise his human nature could be rejected. If Jesus was not fully human, his death and resurrection could not provide us our salvation and the entire Gospel would be moot.
Jesus was not born of two human parents either. If he had been, it would be easy to debate the deity nature of Jesus. The fact that Jesus was born of a virgin birth is peculiar and speaks to new creation, which he would put into motion.

1. I love your big picture view to save all the Jewish people through the recapitulation model of atonement haha. There is so much victory in Christ coming as the new Adam and to not believe that changes everything. I have never actually had a conversation with a Jewish person about why they believe what they believe and am interested to understand their perspective so I can better communicate things about Jesus to them.

2. I got hung up on the word 'necessary' as well. My thought was that Jesus could have appeared from thin air and still been fully God and fully man because he doesn't need anything to be a specific way. However, the way Jesus did come into the world make the most sense for representing who he is. I think you well explained it well that his human birth and divine conception is also introducing the world to a new creation which brings in the bigger picture of what Jesus came to us.
Alicia.O.
Alicia.O.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum