Bethany Hutson: Theology Discussion Questions

Go down

Bethany Hutson: Theology Discussion Questions Empty Bethany Hutson: Theology Discussion Questions

Post by Bethany Hutson on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:33 pm

1. The New Testament gives us many ways to understand the significance of Jesus’ death and resurrection. Choose one model of the atonement that you have not used before. Summarize how you could share the gospel on campus using that model.

One model of atonement that I have not used before while sharing the gospel on campus is the subjective exemplary model where Jesus’ death provides an example of love for believers to emulate. A couple of the verses that I would use to share this model would be John 3:16 which states, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” I would emphasize that this is an example of love for us to practice and then talk about it as a great sacrifice for our sins and how if we believe is Jesus’ death and resurrection and what He did for us on the cross then we will be saved. I would conclude with sharing that as believers we are to have that same love for others. I would share the verse in John 15:13 which states, “Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.” I would explain that this is the kind of love that Jesus showed us on the cross and that we are to express this love to others and those that do not know Jesus. I would emphasize that our sin separates us from God and that through the work on the cross and His resurrection God desires a relationship with us and for us to be with Him in eternity.

2. Select a question from page 487 and write a response.
2. Why was it necessary for Jesus to be born of a virgin?
It was necessary for Jesus to be born of a virgin because it means that God’s deliverance comes through the people, the story, and the covenants of Israel. In addition, it means that God’s new world was becoming a reality and that the coming kingdom with a renewal of creation had already started. The birth of Jesus also teaches us about the triumph of God over evil and the victory of God and the vanquishing of the Satan. In addition, it shows that Jesus was willing to come down as a human and able to relate to us. Another important aspect was that Jesus being born of a virgin showed the power of miracles and that there was a specific plan that was special. It showed the power of God and His mighty works. It also proves that the Creator of the universe was in the midst of orchestrating the events to bring about the coming of the Messiah.
Bethany Hutson
Bethany Hutson

Back to top Go down

Bethany Hutson: Theology Discussion Questions Empty Re: Bethany Hutson: Theology Discussion Questions

Post by hstrelow on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:09 pm

Awesome, Bethany. I feel the exemplary model is a different way of sharing the Gospel with others. Usually we talk about the Gospel in such a way where we note solely what God has done for us. It is so easy to neglect to mention the importance of carrying that model on. I think those verses, especially John 15:13 describe that sentiment perfectly. If we really intend to be people changed by the Gospel we must be people who live out the Gospel. I think this would be a super unique and valuable way to express the Gospel to students on our campus!
hstrelow
hstrelow

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum