Amanda Middleton: Discussion Questions

Go down

Amanda Middleton: Discussion Questions

Post by Amanda Middleton on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:40 am

1.Can someone be a sincere Christian and believe in evolution?

Absolutely. If science doesn't support the God that created the universe then what kind of God do we believe in? (the answer: a made up god). Science isn't always correct in their findings; sometimes things are assumed that are not accurate. But the majority of discoveries humans have made over the years do not contradict with the Bible, and that includes evolution.
Evolution seems contradictory to the Bible but I would argue that it's not. No one was there when the world was created. The creation story in Genesis was written in a way for the people in that age to understand; Moses was inspired by God when writing Genesis but he couldn't write about the technological advancements that we have today. Darwinism and the Big Bang Theory didn't exist yet so no one would have understood what that meant.
We know that God spoke things into being (He formed something out of nothing)... this is the Big Bang Theory. We don't know that the creatures that God created looked the same then as they do now... natural selection may have a hand in changing the characteristics of species.
There's a lot out there that we do not know. Evolution is not the only theory supported by science. There are many scientists that oppose evolution (religious and non-religious) and say that the evidence doesn't add up. I think it's possible that evolution could be true or it could be disproven in a few years. However, none of this is imperative to your salvation. A person can be a sincere Christian that believes God exists and Jesus died on the cross for our sins and still question how organisms came into existence.

2. What does nature tell us about God? What is the limitation of nature for the knowledge of God?

Through nature we are able to sense God. (Romans 1:19-20)
We have a knowledge of some sort of divinity, "which is implanted in every human being," but this knowledge cannot provide us with a full knowledge of God. We must read or listen to Scripture to know about God's plan of salvation through Jesus. Because of this, the knowledge we have of God does not have a saving effect. We must have knowledge of Jesus and his death and resurrection in order to receive salvation. (John 14:6)
Our knowledge of God that we can sense through nature is ultimately rejected. We deny that any god exists and search for other explanations. (Romans 1:21-22)
Amanda Middleton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Amanda Middleton: Discussion Questions

Post by cjgalyen on Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:11 am

I thought your post was very interesting. I liked how you said that science always proves the existence of God. I think that is extremely important in our faith. I think there is always a slight tension or fear in myself when I think about science that it will go into something and cause more questions in my faith than answers. But, God is detailed and intricate and works in great ways. We should have confidence that God made the world and that things like evolution and the Big Bang can prove the existence of God rather than disprove it. I would ask how you approach the creation story with this mindset? I'm interested in hearing your opinion
cjgalyen

View user profile

Back to top Go down