Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zach Amick Discussion Questions

2 posters

Go down

Zach Amick Discussion Questions Empty Zach Amick Discussion Questions

Post by ZachAmick Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:53 am

1. If you had to pick two stories (narratives specifically, not just passages) from the Bible that best illustrate what God is like, which would you choose? Select one story from the Old Testament and one from the New Testament, then explain your choices.

It’s a difficult thing to say what stories from the Bible best illustrate what God is like since God is so great and the stories are so plentiful! The story of Job has perhaps has best shown me that character and nature of God more than any other Old Testament story. While it may be confusing and complicated at first, when we consider the testimony of God at the end of the book and the lesson Job learns it is quite revealing in regards to who God is. In chapter 38 God begins to declare His power, authority, creativity, wisdom, majesty, eternality, and exclusivity (just to name a few things) to Job. In chapter 40 and 41 God asks Job questions which lead Job and us to a better understanding of the Almighty God. My favorite question is in 40:8 “Would you discredit my justice? Would you condemn me to justify yourself?”
A story from the New Testament that I think describes God very well is the Parable of the Lost Son. This short story explains the redemptive heart of God so wonderfully and concisely that it leaves no doubt for the hearer as to the desire of God for us. This obviously speaks to our own redemptive journey but more importantly this shows us the desire and joy of God Himself. This story gives us confidence to turn back from our own ways and to come running back to the Father knowing that not only will He receive us but He will rejoice in it and celebrate us!

2. What do you think of Augustine’s statement that “whoever denies the Trinity is in danger of losing his salvation; whoever tries to understand the Trinity is in danger of losing his mind”?

That sounds about right. Who can rightly claim to know the one true God, yet deny the triune nature of Father, Son, and Spirit? I would suggest that anybody who professes something other than the Trinity has neither read the scriptures or applied sound logic. The words of Jesus alone leave little room for a theology that points to anything other than the Trinity, not to mention the testimony of the rest of the scripture and the rich historical tradition supporting this stance. Any faith professed on something other than the Trinity can not be a real faith in the real God. Jesus teaching from John 15:26 to John 16:16 leaves little room for any belief other than a single God comprised of the distinct persons of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. It is my belief too that the questions the disciples raise in the next two verses are only the beginning of their questions and confusion. Perhaps the questions of time seemed easier to ask and answer then the complicated and mysterious nature of the Trinity, but nevertheless their statement, “We don’t understand what he is saying.” is an honest statement when it comes to God explaining His triune nature to men.
ZachAmick
ZachAmick

Back to top Go down

Zach Amick Discussion Questions Empty Re: Zach Amick Discussion Questions

Post by Jacob Gulka Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:56 am

I chose a different story but now I wish I chose this story. I agree, Zach. God’s character is shown in an amazing and poetic way throughout the book of Job, causing us to ask really profound questions of God’s sovereignty and justice. Job’s responses lead us along a path of humility understanding God’s goodness creativity.
Concerning the lost son I also chose that based on it’s amazing illustration of God’s forgiveness.

Concerning Augustine’s trinitarian statement I agree a lot with what you’re saying. One who denounces the trinity probably is not arguing from scriptural fundamentals, and from other forms of thought. They likely haven’t glanced over the areas of scripture in the New Testament talking about the deity of Christ (e.g. John 1:1, 14) and the divine personhood of the Holy Spirit.
Jacob Gulka
Jacob Gulka

Back to top Go down