Ryan Elliff: Discussion Questions

Go down

Ryan Elliff: Discussion Questions

Post by ryanelliff on Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:11 am

1. If you had to pick two stories (narratives specifically, not just passages) from the Bible that best illustrate what God is like, which would you choose? Select one story from the Old Testament and one from the New Testament, then explain your choices.

An Old Testament story that I think best illustrates what God is like is when He asks Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac. This story reveals so much that speaks to the character of God. First, He is a jealous God and wants nothing to come between us and Him. If we have idols in our lives or things that become more important than our relationship with God, He just might ask us to give them up completely as a sacrifice! Secondly, He is merciful and full of love for His children. When Abraham showed his faithfulness and was about to actually kill Isaac, God stopped him and provided a ram as a sacrifice instead. When God asks us to do something that is difficult and we obey his commands, He is merciful in honoring our willingness to sacrifice and pours out blessings on us.

A story from the New Testament has to be the story of Christ's crucifixion. This story shows the depth of God's love for us! He loves us so much that He went through with the very same task that he asked of Abraham. Although Abraham showed his faithfulness and God spared Isaac's life, God shows His faithfulness and still allows Jesus to be put to death. His death was only temporary, but he still suffered and died a criminals death. In this story, God showed us his love, mercy, and grace.

2. Question #3 - Describe what is the most distinguishing attribute or set of attributes describing God's character.

In the text, Bird states that the most distinguishable attributes that describe God's character are His glory, holiness, and love. He points to the gospel in explaining why he believes this to be true. He says "for in the gospel a holy God reveals the glorious Christ in the loving act of setting him forth as a sacrifice for our sins.". Bird goes on to explain that there are two types of attributes of God: incommunicable and communicable. The three attributes listed above are all communicable, which means we as humans have the ability to possess these very same traits (although to a limited degree). While I completely agree with what Bird says, I would like to add to the list the eternity of God and His omnibenevolence. These two attributes are incommunicable, meaning that they are unique to Himself and cannot be shared with others, and I believe are hugely important in understanding who God is. God existing before everything we know and that He will continue to exist forever is such a big part of the gospel story. Even before the earth was created, God knew me and had a plan for my life! This leads to His omnibenevolence or his complete goodness. God is completely good and lacks any kind of malice. Everything God has done and will do, he does because He is good.

Our God is full of glory, perfectly holy, unconditionally loving, eternaly eternal and completely good!
ryanelliff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ryan Elliff: Discussion Questions

Post by cjgalyen on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:24 am

I enjoyed reading about your two examples of God's nature in the Old and New Testament. Its so true that God's nature is greatly revealed in the story of Abraham and Issac. God is holy and He demands that we remain true to the Law and that we be obedient to His word. When He calls on Abraham to sacrifice Issac, He is looking for true devotion but He also has an ultimate plan of love and grace. Its an amazing example of God's nature of grace and love!
cjgalyen

View user profile

Back to top Go down