Missional Leadership: Leading Kingdom Movements (1 and 2)

Go down

Missional Leadership: Leading Kingdom Movements (1 and 2)

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:29 pm

In at least 250 words, summarize your understanding of the reading and a few points you are ready to apply.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://incmit.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Missional Leadership: Leading Kingdom Movements (1 and 2)

Post by Brittony on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:00 pm

The section that stood out the most to me was on pages 72 to 75, Building A Team. In the high-right quadrant on page 73, it gives definition to what a missional extended family looks like. In the graph it makes sense that a high challenge/ high purpose team acts as a family in doing regular life together. As I’ve become more and more immersed within Chi Alpha culture, this being my “official” first year, I’ve seen this working in our staff and students. In our staff team, there is high challenge to be excellent and effective ministers of the Gospel. But not just doing so for the students we minister to but to ourselves and to our families thus creating this high purpose in which we need to strive for; in a good and healthy way. As I’ve challenged my Core Group to a higher challenge, some have seen the higher purpose in the challenge and some haven’t. Those who have, though, have caught the visions of outreach, sisterhood, and authentic community. Those are the girls who say they’ve found their family away from their family. And I would say that’s how I feel toward our staff team. I see how our staff team acts more as one, like Breen relates a team to Pool said, “They are no longer autonomous, individual balls but a collection of balls going in one direction…” As our staff prays together, meets together, and has fun together, I can actively see us becoming more and more like a missional extended family. As this spills out to our Core Groups, like my girls, our hearts begin to beat as one as an effective ministry on our campus.

Brittony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kellyrenelantz on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:11 pm

This book was very interesting because I feel like it gave a lot of universal applications to the Missional Communities and real life examples of how it was adjusted to different contexts. This was especially interesting to me thinking about moving into the work force in the next few months. I really liked the parts where it talked about grace and faith - having faith that God would be faithful and going where God was giving grace. This was kind of similar to the part where he said to go where the fruit is. I am moving in with two other girls graduating from IU Chi Alpha and I think we will function a lot more like a little tree but if you learn anything from this book it's that a few people can make a huge difference.

Another part I really liked was that this whole method is completely useless without listening to the Holy Spirit, because God wants to do things we wouldn't think of on our own, and He knows the needs of communities better than we ever could.

I also liked the aspect of team building, and the emphasis of it feeling like family, and I think that is really applicable as a resource team leader, because if resource team doesn't feel like family, it's going to feel a lot like work. I think that's something my RT has struggled with a lot this year, but I think the closer we get, and the closer their CGs got, they saw a lot of fruit.

kellyrenelantz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Leading Kingdom Movements

Post by lleeson on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:29 pm

The beginning of this book talked about earthquakes in peoples’ lives. We as Christians have a solid foundation when things of this world fall apart. We have the choice to let those around us suffer (which would probably lead them to run even farther from Jesus) or we can love them and show them what they can put their hope in that won’t crumble. I liked the four steps the author shared to help those going through an “earthquake”: having compassion, sharing community, connecting to a bigger story, and then giving them the next steps in re-creating their life. I tend to switch up these steps, which I think leads to people not coming to faith. Sometimes, I jump to “connecting to a bigger story” rather than listening and having compassion first. People tend to not listen to your advice if they don’t feel you listen and understand them. Sometimes I don’t help people connect to community. I think I can handle this on my own, yet I get overwhelmed and they miss out on seeing Jesus through others. I want to go back to these steps when people come to me in trouble and need the hope of the gospel.

The story of the author being caught on fire was incredible and scary! I know the point of that chapter was that we can’t have kingdom movements, let alone disciple people, on our own. We need Jesus. We need radical dependence on Him. I am a try-hard and struggle with letting God do the work in and through me. I want control. This book reminded me that the more I try to be strong, the harder it will be for me. I need to surrender to God and know its ok to be weak. It’s almost good to be weak! Because when we are weak, God is strong and we see that clearly. When we are “strong”, we forget where that strength comes from.

I also appreciated the SWOT diagram and how the book didn’t just show the diagram, but showed how you can move from one quadrant to the other through grace and faith. We tend to be in a battle or frustration, but we don’t have to stay there. When I was support raising last summer, there were times of fear and frustration because I felt weak, but there was an opportunity. When I had faith that God would provide and I did the work, it moved to a breakthrough! Not only in my budget, but in my faith in God! We can use this model in many areas of our ministry.

lleeson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SHKelly on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:21 am

The stories and principles that Breen shares in the first two parts of Leading Kingdom Movements are both challenging and encouraging. They are challenging because when he sets up his stories, they seem insurmountable, daunting to even think about being in myself. The one that stood out to me the most was the one he centered in on about two-thirds through the reading.

He shares the story of beginning his pastorate in Sheffield, England, and how, when he began to implement the Missional Community model, his worship service attendance multiplied exponentially. They went from a small church to one that was running four Sunday services without empty seats. They were outgrowing their facilities. It was shocking to hear his bishop’s response to his request for relocation, a resounding “No.” Sometimes it takes people a while to adapt to change. They eventually relocated, but the real challenge for me comes later, after they lose their building.

The church lost it’s building that they used for their weekly worship service, and for a few years the Missional Communities had to run without weekly gatherings. For me, this would be a huge challenge in trust and humility before God; humbling myself before him, and trusting that he will guide his church and that it’s not up to the pastor. Breen relates how this time of “homelessness” resulted in their MC’s doubling in number. That’s amazing! That’s encouraging!

In my context of Chi Alpha, the challenge comes in the questions “would this happen if we didn’t have a weekly gathering/large group identity?” and, “am I equipping and inspiring the students under me in a way that would result in this devotion to God and his mission?” I was challenged to push harder and I was encouraged that “it is the Lord who brings the harvest.”

SHKelly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kkuriyama on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:35 am

I love that they never lose focus on what works, and that is to make disciples that make disciples that make disciples. We keep talking about the fact that if we make disciples we will get a church, and not vice versa, but it is so true. It is the only thing that works. I like the quote from p.81 "If you can't multiply missional leaders, you're done." It's harsh, but it's true. Addition, instead of multiplication, is exhausting and very very very hard to scale and measure. Multiplication is safe and explosive.

I also loved the quadrants of opportunity-Threat and weakness-strength. I'd tend to think that moving from battler to breakthrough is faith, but I love that they think it's grace. Frustration to breakthrough requires faith because it's moving from weakness to strength.

I also love that the second part started with being broken. Humility is really important with cultivating a good culture and kingdom mindset, and I appreciate that that's where they started.

I was familiar with it already, but the High play high purpose quadrant is always awesome to look at, and it's so true too. I think the "staff" section is scary and boring. I tend to be higher play, but maybe it's because "staff" scares me a lot. I need a good balance of the two tho.

kkuriyama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaneMiles on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:51 am

I really enjoyed this book from Breen and the 3DM team (probably my second favorite after Multiplying MLs). There were a few aspects of the book that really stuck out to me, and I'll try to hit them quickly.

The first takeaway I had personally was the total need for humility in leading MCs. I think this is something that we read about and just kinda breeze past, but truly sitting on and thinking about the importance of humility was crucial for me. Another aspect here was that we are in the midst of an earthquake -- I tend to downplay the conflict that we live in between Satan and God / the Church.

The second big takeaway for me was the story Breen told of groups struggling to implement the OUT rhythm in their groups. In many ways, reading that was like reading about my own resource team and how many of my leaders have struggled to grasp what OUT actually looks like and should be. Breen's story of the prayer walks and doing "what you're good at" really rang true as I thought of myself and my guys. So much so, in fact, that this past Sunday at our meeting I read the whole story to them and we discussed it (which went very well).

I loved the account of the "tilling" with the cross, the walks in Brixton, the account of the gasoline fire, and more. But I want to mention how much the portion on external funding resonated with me. I loved Breen's point of how monasteries would make things that would fund their ministry -- they had a business element to them. That struck a very deep chord with me (one I didn't really know I had, to be honest) as to the importance of finding ways to be economically productive in ministry. I don't really know what that means practically yet, but I would love to find ways to involve myself in a financially productive way as I am also a missionary (giving music lessons is a current avenue, but I think there could be more).

DaneMiles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by matthewostermeyer on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:35 pm

Reading “Leading Kingdom Movements” is a blessing to my understanding and desire to be a part of a kingdom movement for the Kingdom of God. I feel as though I am already a part of an awesome movement of the kingdom on Indiana University’s campus. I have always loved Hebrews 12 and love the imagery that the author uses to exemplify the fact we as believers have complete security in our salvation and therefore have complete confidence in being members of God’s rescue teams. We can spend our lives running into the chaos and brokenness of this world because we have security in Christ and because we have the ability to lead people to the place of refuge that God wants for them. That is relationship with Jesus Christ.
I also enjoyed part 2 of the book which had a strong emphasis on reliance of the Holy Spirit to guide us in our kingdom movements as well as the miraculous. I especially enjoyed the section that discussed failure, frustration, battle, and breakthrough. I think it is important to keep in mind that though breakthrough is the desired landing place, you can’t land there without existing in a place of battle and frustration for a time.
I appreciate and believe heavily in the section on resourcing missional communities. It would be so easy for our kingdom structure to run dry if we spread ourselves wider then we are able to support through the resources we posess. This leads us back to the importance of sitting at Jesus’ feet and listening to the Spirit for his guidance in our lives.

matthewostermeyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down