Missional Leadership: "Multiplying Missional Leaders" Responses

Go down

Missional Leadership: "Multiplying Missional Leaders" Responses

Post by Admin on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:00 pm

In at least 250 words, summarize your understanding of the reading and a few points you are ready to apply.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://incmit.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Missional Leadership: "Multiplying Missional Leaders" Responses

Post by kellyrenelantz on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:00 pm

I thought this book was interesting and it really made me evaluate the way I was leading my resource team and made me ask myself if they would be okay/know what to do if I wasn't there. I think in a lot of ways they would, but I am sure there are some things I have not passed on well from what I know about leading a missional community. I also think that I could be better about pushing people and having a higher challenge environment, so that my girls are being exposed to different aspects of the five fold ministry.

This book helped me recognize how my gifting of pastor could influence (and sometimes hinder) the health of my resource team and how we all need to strive to be competent in each area, even if only for a season. This means I may have to be more intentional with evangelism (which doesn't come as naturally to me).

It was also interesting to see the healthy types of each ministry and what happens if one part of up, in and out are missing. I could even see seasons of my life where that was true, and I think that I will likely go through this with my girls in one on ones the next few weeks and talk about where they think they fall.

It was also a good reminder that we need to consistently be training leaders that have the characteristics that show potential for this type of leadership. I think being reminded it is a process and sometimes a cycle of retraining them and not to be discouraged by failure.

kellyrenelantz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SHKelly on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:10 am

I really liked this book! It addressed many questions that I have been asking myself during the past few months, namely, how do I disciple my guys into leaders? Some of this language was very familiar, Character and Competency (goals of the internship), and some was new and helpful, the Discipleship Pipeline. I thought that the discussion on Identity being made up of Appetites, Approval, and Ambition, and how that is demonstrated in Jesus’ Temptation and applied to the American Church was really insightful and something that I need to think about for a while to really grasp.
I thought that the Discipleship Pipeline was a helpful way to think about the steps involved in preparing a disciple to lead. It was especially helpful to tie it back to the whole “D1-D4” ideas from Building a Discipleship Culture. I think that during last semester I didn’t understand the rhythms of the year or understand how long it takes for people to move from one stage to the next and I was getting antsy, like, “why can’t I launch them sooner?” But, I realize now that it takes a long commitment with increasing responsibility for someone to be ready to lead.
I also got a nice dose of humble pie when I was thinking through this and realized that it’s taken me four years of being discipled to where I am just now entering the D3/D4 stage; that helped put things into perspective.
Overall, this was a great and timely book for me to read, and one that I will probably reference on an on-going basis.

SHKelly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kkuriyama on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:46 am

Incredible book! Especially if anyone is thinking about pioneering a new campus, I think this book was all about that. The pipeline thing was probably the only thing I hadn't encountered before and it was so good. Especially the train and deploy part was very much hitting home for me. I think I still struggle with being very intentional in those areas of my discipleship. I assume that since people are watching me they're automatically learning(which I believe the majority of the work is anyways, in terms of multiplication and forming culture) everything about how I do things, but I need to be more clear and specific about why I do things that I do. 3DM is like all the good things and healthy things that we do in Chi Alpha put together very concisely. From the gospel, to Robert Coleman, to Harvey Herman, and Van Derstelt. Will definitely come back to this book often in the future.

kkuriyama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by matthewostermeyer on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:10 pm

I believe that the importance of multiplying missional leaders is key to any missions movement. One of the aspects of this book I resonated well with was the call to serve God as a team. I constantly live on mission at Indiana University and have recently visited a LD Team in Zanzibar and I realize the immense difficulty that comes from trying to grow the kingdom of God alone.
I also loved the part of the book that displayed the lens through which we can look at those we are discipling who are perspective leaders. I think it is important to understand this lens in order to guide these individuals toward a greater understanding of who they are in Christ and understanding the Father’s heart behind the mission of God. It is important for these leaders to be able to navigate what God is asking of them in this life on their own. The lens through which it encouraged others to look when teaching these potential leaders was through four aspects. These aspects are Character, Calling, Capacity, and Chemistry. These are important things to take into consideration when building up leaders for the kingdom of God.
I also loved how the book highlighted the necessity of our missional communities to reflect the family of God. If we have a team of people who does not know each other, love each other, or enjoy each other that is trying to somehow work together to build the kingdom of God in the world that team will most likely be fairly ineffective. I believe that it is highly important to God for our teams to have a deep-seeded love for the members of their team and those they lead that is centered on Christs love for us.

matthewostermeyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaneMiles on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:15 pm

I really enjoyed the most recent 3DM book for this month. While there was a lot of good content overall, the area of the book which stuck out most to me was the focus and emphasis on relationship with Jesus for leaders. This subject has been something which has been something of a theme for our XA this year -- that is, that leaders must be discipling/serving/leading out of an overflow of what Jesus is already doing in their own lives. Or, to phrase it more firmly in 3DM vernacular, the "IN" component must be the source of the "OUT."

For me as a leader, I do often fall into the mindset of "I can do it on my own." That's not to say that I don't spend time with Jesus or value spending time with Him, but rather that I don't view spending time with Jesus as absolutely crucial to living life on mission well. A sobering thought has been, "if I'm not bringing these guys Jesus, what am I bringing them?" If we're honest, the answer to that question can have some pretty negative outcomes. If we're not bringing the Gospel to our leadership, we're not leading at all - we're misleading.

DaneMiles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brittony on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:54 pm

The leadership model, in Breen’s Multiplying Missional Leaders is the Leadership Square. I’ve been trying to reach out to international students with American students. Sometimes it goes well, and sometimes it’s harder for American students to catch the vision of reaching the Nations. However, there’s a freshman, Bailey, who came to me near the end of the Fall Semester wanting to reach international students. I, myself, was just getting my feet wet in this area of ministry but felt somewhat comfortable to disciple someone. The only thing was that I didn’t know how I was going to do it. I remembered the Leadership Square; I do, you watch/ I do, you help/ you do, I help/ and you do, I watch. As, I’ve seen in it the previous Breen books and again in Multiplying Missional Leaders, it has been such a helpful guide for Bailey and I. Right away at one of our first meetings I told her I wanted to use this model and as we went along, I would bring her along to meet international students, invite her to hang out with international friends. The goal would be to meet international students, even though she’s introverted, and begin watching conversations and interactions. In one of our meetings I shared a vision of engaging international students with American students in a fun way and I made it clear I wanted her to help plan it and organize this event. As we went through ideas and had open conversation about it we planned an International Game Night together. At first she was a little intimidated but the more we met and planned the more excited she got and the more responsibility she wanted to take on. Right now we’re only on the right side of the Square; however, it’s proving to be a way more valuable tool than I first imagined it would be, even in these earlier stages. It’s been a slow process moving from one side of the square to the other but I’m excited to continue to use it with Bailey and other students that come along.

Brittony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down