Theology Discussion Question: Salvation

Go down

Theology Discussion Question: Salvation

Post by Admin on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:57 pm

Music is one of the primary influences that shape our beliefs about God. Our worship songs often affect us more than sermons, books or Bible studies. As a campus minister, this presents an incredible opportunity to help shape students' theology.

Create a hypothetical worship set for one of your large group gatherings. Focus your songs on the theme of "salvation." Begin by choosing four aspects of a theology of salvation that you want students to internalize. For each of the aspects, choose a song that effectively communicates that truth.

Your set list should include at least one hymn, and at least one song that you have never heard before (before you started this project, at least).

Then, post your results in this forum in the following format:  Aspect, Song, 1-3 sentences explaining your choice.

For example:
1. God completely erases our sin through the cross of Christ. "There is a Fountain" (1772). This song shows how Jesus blood cleanses us, like a fountain that never runs out. It shows that he will continue cleansing us until that last day when we are with Christ.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://incmit.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Theology Discussion Question: Salvation

Post by Admin on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:42 am

A relevant post from the Babylon Bee along these lines: http://babylonbee.com/news/calvinist-hymnal-released/

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://incmit.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brittony on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:15 am

Theology Salvation Set-List

Adoption – Who You Say I Am ← Song I have not heard before this project.
Artist: Hillsong United

Forgiveness – O Come To The Alter
Artist: Elevation Worship

Redemption/ Ransom – Come Thou Fount
Artist: David Crowder

Peace – Your Promises
Artist: Elevation Worship

These would be the songs I choose for a Salvation Message set-list. I would have them in this order because one the first parts of the Gospel is God wanting to bring all man together with him in his family, not just the righteous ones but to give us a new identity. In that adoption came a weighty forgiveness through the ransom that was paid on the cross. Then at the end comes a peace knowing and relying on the promises God brought when Jesus came and began his ministry and even now we can rely on those life-giving promises.

Brittony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Salvation Set-list

Post by lleeson on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:25 am

Our life starts anew and is forever because of what Jesus did on the cross and our acceptance of Him. – Death was Arrested (2017) – This song is very explicit about being dead before knowing Jesus and experiencing His love and what He did on the cross. It shows that by His death, we are set free from death and have eternal life.

We are redeemed and our debt is paid because of Jesus’s death and resurrection. – Jesus Paid it All (1865) – This song we cannot pay our debt or cover our sin on our own. We are weak and need a savior and Jesus paid our debt and is our savior.

God cleanses us through His forgiveness of our sins through the lamb of God. - Wisdom in the Secret Heart (based on Psalm 51) (2015) – This song goes back to Psalm 51 of David crying out for forgiveness and for God to clean Him. I like that it shows David asking for cleansing yet also foreshadows the eternal cleansing we receive from Jesus.

God rescues us from our sin through Jesus. – When I Think About the Lord (1998) – This song emphasizes that God really rescued us, like a hero, from the destruction of our sin and it makes us want to worship and thank Him.

lleeson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SHKelly on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:59 am

Through Jesus’ death and resurrection we are made sons of God, our sins are born by him, and we are ransomed by his blood. How Deep the Father’s Love by Stuart Townsend. I chose this song because it centers on images of the cross and expresses the emotions that he felt as well as the emotions we feel when we receive his grace. It’s one of my favorite songs because it’s so rich lyrically and thought provoking.

Jesus offers us forgiveness and justification as part of salvation. Covered by Israel Houghton. I really enjoy song because it expresses the truths that “no matter what I’ve done…You pick me up again” and that “at the cross all of our sin was covered.” I also like that he mentions the removal of shame, because that is not talked about very often.

The salvation project extends to all of creation and it began by Jesus’ victory over death. Is He Worthy? by Andrew Peterson. This song covers themes and images ranging from the renewal of creation, to Jesus breaking the seals and opening the scrolls in Revelation. It’s a very dense song that is set up in question/answer where the lead singer sings a question and the congregation replies with an affirmative. It would be an effective way to teach those aspects of salvation in a sort of worship/catechesis combination.

The work of Jesus includes not only washing from sin, but also healing. I Will Rejoice by William Murphy. This is a song we sang a lot growing up. It’s simple and repetitive but the idea is that through the blood of Jesus, we receive healing and forgiveness, and that our response should be praise.

SHKelly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kkuriyama on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:38 am

Nothing but the Blood (1876) - Salvation comes from nothing BUT the blood of Jesus. Through it we are made righteous(v4), we receive peace and hope(v4), we are to come to "home"(v5), through it I will be cleansed(v1) and our sin atoned(v3). But all of this is only because of the blood of Jesus.

No longer slaves (2015) - adoption and being brought to the family. We have been chosen and incorporated to the new family by being born again(v2)

Days of Elijah (1997) - He is a soon coming king that will deliver us from this fallen world. He will come with trumpet sound, riding on the clouds, and we will know that out of Zion's hill salvation comes(chorus).

Come to the cross(Michael W. Smith, 2006. I don't know this song) Forgiveness. Everyone can come to the cross, no matter what you've done(chorus)

kkuriyama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by matthewostermeyer on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:52 pm

Theology Salvation Set List

Only in Christ can we have freedom from death and from our sins. “My Victory” by Passion is a song that shows us that Jesus came for the worst and the least of people. That without Christ as a sacrifice for our sins we have no way of defeating death.
The hymn that I would choose would be “Blessed Assurance”. This is a song that teaches us that we have assurance in the promises of God contained in the new covenant through Jesus Christ. That we can rest in assurance of our salvation because Jesus was the sacrifice for our sins and nothing can change that.
I would also choose the song “No Longer Slaves”. With the promises of new life and defeat over death through Christ we are no longer bound by death. We have been given power and authority over the enemy through Christ.
The song I had not heard I would choose is “Forgiven” by David Crowder. This song shows us the power and greatness of God’s love. It shows us as the criminal in the case of Christ. That we are the one who pinned him to the cross because of our sin. However, it shows the goodness of God’s love for us in that he would still forgive those who crucified him because of their sin.

matthewostermeyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kellyrenelantz on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:25 pm

1. Rescue - "Rescuer" - Rend Collective. This song boasts how we are free from sin because Jesus has rescued us. He not only rescues us from sin, but from our circumstances (he is riches to the poor, a friend to the lonely, rest for those who strive). The song calls us to walk in the freedom we have through Christ's rescue.

2. Forgiveness - "Covered" - Planetshakers. This song shares about how through Jesus, our sins are covered and forgiven. No matter what we've done, our sins can be forgiven through Christ dying on the cross. This shows God's character through His grace.

3. Peace - "In Christ Alone" This song talks about many aspects of salvation, but one is peace we get through our relationship with Christ alone. He gives us strength, a solid ground on which to stand, and has freely given us a gift of love. He is victorious over death and sin and gives us hope and a firm foundation. We can have peace in our salvation through Christ Alone.

4. Redemption - "Power to Redeem" - Lauren Daigle. This song talks about how only God has the power to redeem. We are unable to do this on our own and through Christ are able to walk in this truth. We have new life through our relationship with Christ so the old is dead (no grave can hold what your grace has justified) and only by teh blood we are set free.

kellyrenelantz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaneMiles on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:44 pm

1. "In Christ Alone" by Keith Getty (performed in the arrangement of Kings Kaleidoscope). This song is a favorite of mine. The song has motifs of justification and redemption, as well as eternal life.

2. "Scandal of Grace" by Hillsong United. This song focuses on the substitutionary atonement of Jesus - "the scandal of grace, you died in my place" - as well as the Christus Victor motif, "death... Your power is as dead as my sin." This song even has elements of theosis ("oh to be like you").

3. "Who You Say I Am" by Hillsong Worship. This song is primarily heavy on Adoption and Redemption motifs.

4. "Be Thou My Vision," hymn from 8th century translated into English in 1900s. Justification and redemtption, as well as eternal life, are all alluded to in this song.

DaneMiles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down