Theology Discussion Question: Atonement

Go down

Theology Discussion Question: Atonement

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:43 pm

The New Testament gives us many ways to understand the significance of Jesus’ death and resurrection. Choose the model of the atonement that you are least familiar with. In one or two paragraphs, demonstrate how you could share the gospel on campus using that model.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://incmit.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Recapitulation

Post by SHKelly on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:17 am

The Recapitulation view of the atonement, namely that, "Jesus replays the story of Adam except that unlike Adam, Jesus is successful over sin and obedient to death on the cross," could be the basis of a gospel-conversation on campus. If a student were to ask "Why was Jesus tempted by Satan?," or "Why did Jesus have to be human?," one could explain the Recap view to show the necessity of Jesus' humanity, sinless life, and resistance to temptation. Or maybe they are having trouble reading through the Old Testament. The Recap view, plus a look at the interpretation of several OT stories by Paul, could give new meaning and interest in reading the OT (it certainly has for me). The questions may seldom come up, but still, it could be the opportunity to shed light on a major part of Jesus' mission.

SHKelly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Theology Discussion Question: Atonement

Post by matthewostermeyer on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:11 pm

I feel least familiar with the Subjective Models of the Atonement. I feel of any of the models these leave out more crucial parts of the message of the atonement. However, they do highlight parts of the gospel that are still relevant! Moral Influence is the view I will talk about. The main point of the moral influence view is "Jesus' death changes our inward disposition and and enables us to love others." This view seems to highlight the change that happens within us when we are confronted by the love that God displayed for us through Jesus Christ. Ezekiel 36:26 says, "I will give you a new heart, and put a new spirit in you." This highlights that God will transform the way we look at everything. When Adam and Eve sinned in the garden they were covered with a "blindfold" and blinded to the truth about God because they believed a lie about him. But Isaiah preaches that the Messiah (Jesus) will "open the eyes of the blind". This highlights that through Christ our eyes are opened to the reality of the world that we live in, and our true identity as sons and daughters of the Loving King. This motivates us toward a life of obedience by faith in God and a strong relationship with him. It transforms our hearts and urges us to love those around us because of the love we have been shown by the Father. (Matthew 5:14-16).

matthewostermeyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Recapitulation

Post by lleeson on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:51 pm

The model of atonement I chose was recapitulation. This is where Jesus replays the life of Adam yet instead of disobeying God, he is completely obedient to death on a cross. In order to share the gospel on campus using this model, I would ask if that person ever was told do something by their parents, he/she didn’t listen, and then regretted his/her actions. That person would tell me, yes, and share how and why. Then, I would share about Adam in the bible, how God gave him everything in the garden yet told him not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and how he and Eve disobeyed. God said if they ate from the tree, they would die. Then I would share about all the repercussions of sin, leading up until today (broken relationships, war, jealousy, theft, death etc.). Next, I would ask how he/she thinks there life or that moment would have been different if they listened to their parents. They would share and then I would go into saying that there was a person who made up for Adam’s action. His name is Jesus and He is God’s son who came and lived a life, fully man, fully God, on this Earth, completely obedient to the Father, to death on the cross. Adam sinned by eating fruit from a tree, while Jesus did not sin but obeying the Father and dying on the tree. His death and blood has redeemed humanity for Adam’s sin long ago. Those who put their faith in Jesus and believe He is the Son of God are fully redeemed and don’t have the repercussions of disobedience (AKA death/separation from God).

lleeson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brittony on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:07 am

The Penal Substitution model was one that I was least familiar with in this section. I think if I were to share the Gospel through this lens I would emphasize the role Christ played as he hung on the cross. He is our representative before the Father. God had to have a perfect sacrifice, as it was necessary by the law of the Old Testament that was given by God. People would sacrifice a perfect sheep in exchange for a person to have access to the Heavenly Father. All wrongdoings of the sinner was placed on the sheep as it was sacrificed, the sheep then was the penal substitution. Now Jesus was, and is, our perfect sheep. He is the one who willingly took sin and placed it on himself so the sinner (everyone else in the world) would be able to come to the Father freely. Jesus needed to reconcile us to the Father because Jesus and the Father are one (John 10:30). Of course we needed someone perfect to take away our sins but it needed to be God to enact wrath on himself (pg. 405) so that many can come to the Father even more so than before.

Brittony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kellyrenelantz on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:52 pm

I am most unfamiliar with recapitalization. If using this method to share with a student, I would first begin by talking about the Fall, how God created Adam and that the world was all how He intended, but we chose sin, and created a brokenness in the human race that carried on for generations, until Jesus. We needed someone perfect to redeem the line of brokenness and restore us to what God intended for the original Adam. Because Jesus lived a perfect life, he was able to restore our lineage and God's original intent for human kind, and give us freedom. Jesus was born, grew into a man, and lived a fully human life, and was able to glorify God through His obedience.

I would be sure to mention the necessity of the cross, as the text said, this method can often leave out the necessity of the cross. I would emphasize Jesus in the garden before His death, asking God to take the cup from Him. He wished to not have to die on the cross, but was obedient to God's will for that to be the means to restore us in right standing with God.

kellyrenelantz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaneMiles on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Fun fact: I wrote my answer on Amarylianism, thinking atonement and the three ways which it could be limited are different. I am not a strong reader.

I'm picking ransom for my model. If I were to make my case to a student, it would go as thus. Have you ever done anything wrong? Lied, stolen, hurt someone? This is sin, and as Christians, we believe that sin entered the world long ago with the beginning of humanity. When sin first happened, the right to your life after death was removed from God, and turned over to Satan, a fallen angel who seeks out to kill and destroy all that is good in the world.

Since the rights to my and your life was no longer ours, and could not be spent with God, something had to be done. So, God made a deal -- he told Satan if he would release people from sin, he would turn over his son -- Jesus -- to Satan. When Jesus died, Satan thought he'd one. But three days later, when Jesus rose from the dead, Satan realized he'd been fooled. Jesus had paid the price for our salvation, _and_ is still risen. Because of Jesus, we have the promise that our lives will one day be free from all sin -- sickness, sadness, brokenness -- all will be made new. This is the Good News.

DaneMiles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down