Missional Leadership: Leading Missional Communities (Part 2) Responses

Go down

Missional Leadership: Leading Missional Communities (Part 2) Responses

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:41 pm

In at least 250 words, summarize your understanding of the reading and a few points you are ready to apply.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://incmit.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Missional Leadership: Leading Missional Communities (Part 2) Responses

Post by kellyrenelantz on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:58 am

I really enjoyed this section and thought it was interesting to have examples of what we are doing in Chi Alpha in a context outside of the college campus. I think some things that really stuck with me were the points about creating leaders and the specific process people of peace go through when you are reaching out to them.

I think keeping multiplication at the forefront is so important because I think it keeps the heart of discipleship there as well. If your goal is to mold people into people capable and excited about leading MCs, you will pour into them and disciple them in a way that will allow them to do so successfully. You will look for specific things and attitudes in them, and be able to see potential pitfalls in their faith.

I think it is really good how much this section emphasized being transparent in a comfortable way. I think a lot of times Christians feel like they need to preach the Gospel in full day one or just never really talk about their faith and hope Jesus shines through them. While those situations may occur, I think often times it is best to get to know people slowly and introduce the Gospel and more faith based conversation naturally. I think giving people the option to opt out of a prayer or something like that is good because it builds trust and people don't feel like they are being tricked or you are just trying to convert them. People are able to sense when people are genuine and I think it's helpful to get to a point where they want to say yes to church with you or want to ask you more about your story or testimony when you bring it up.

kellyrenelantz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brittony on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:18 pm

Within the first chapter of Part 2, I was encouraged about the “Person of Peace.” Mike Breen starts with the first over-arching question, “God, who are you sending us to?” I feel like I overthink this; that I need to find the right person to start talking to and have the right things to say to start building a friendship. It’s like I’m aimlessly wondering trying to find whom God has called me to. There are unneeded amounts of pressure when I approach finding people. I love the answer Breen gives; “…God reveals this to you by bringing you a Person of Peace from that neighborhood or network.” I realize now that Ball State’s Campus is apart of my neighborhood. Right after I finished reading Part 2, I was trying to figure out what I was going write about in this response and gearing up to write this paper. I had my headphones in ready to be in the zone. I’m sitting in one of the cafeterias on campus when a girl sits a couple chairs down from me; she gets on her computer, probably to do homework or something but I felt a push to start conversation. I made a comment about her laptop case, and that opened conversation for the next hour and half. We talked about the shallow things in her life and the deep things in her life. She, then, was the one who asked to exchange contact information. I didn’t have to ask the most awkward question there is to finding people. As we’re talking I kept thinking that this was natural and not challenging at all to find the Person of Peace only because God had brought her to me. I feel like this is how it should be, easy. Breen continues, “Remember that wherever God sends you, He is already there and already working.” I’m typing this, coming from this incredible interaction and feel as if this is one of the truest statements in the book. I didn’t wake up this morning planning to talk or fine her, I didn’t even ask her to sit down. God knew what was happening and made it plain as day that He was there, in control, and that she was a Person of Peace.

Brittony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SHKelly on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:49 pm

This section was helpful in the way it didn't demand or expect anything in particular besides discipling with prayer. The three questions to narrow the focus were helpful too. They were, WHO are you sending us to, WHERE are you working, and WHAT is good news to them? For me (and us) the "who" is college students, but since reading I have thought it may be helpful, especially next fall, to pray for a sub-group to reach out to; ethnic, academic, geographic, or hobby-related. This could help establish a beachhead into a community on campus that we don't have represented in our group already. While looking for the "who," I would also be looking for "where" God is already working; paying attention to spiritual rhythms of campus, listening for important questions and gospel-answerable needs, etc. After meeting people in these groups, the "what" of gospel-relevancy would become necessary to discern.
The next section in the book gave three real-world examples of different MC's rhythms and how they cater to a particular group. These were helpful to see that everyone is different, but they share similar values of Up, In, and Out. This makes it nice to change the values and examples to our situation but also makes it challenging because all of these examples are long-term, real-world situations, whereas campus has a much faster pace and turnover. Still, it was helpful to hear the examples and think through how it could apply to our context.
My favorite part of this section was the Sowing, Reaping, and Keeping diagram. We already use the "close to us, close to God; far from us, far from God" metric, but this is a nice way to think through where each person is in their relationship with God and His mission. I will definitely use it and have already thought about where the guys I know land in that scheme.
All-in-all, I can see how we very much model our methods on this stuff, and how organic and easy they can be if we have the right amount of organization.

SHKelly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by matthewostermeyer on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:29 pm

This months reading of Mike Breen was extremely insightful and helped me to understand a specific issue that I desire to grow in more as I devote my life to carrying out God's instructions and doing his work on the campus of Indiana University. I had just spent a lot of time looking into certain aspects of a missional outreach that XA is setting up at Indiana University for Little 500 and felt exhausted and useless after finishing it. But I opened up the Breen book and it began by talking about how our efforts and our attempts at missional community are useless if we remove God from the equation and do not seek his guidance. I realized that seeking the Lord before jumping into the work He has placed on my heart has escaped me at times.

The 5 Signs of Oikos is something I loved and was thankful to read. I enjoy the delight that comes from the fellowship of the family of God. I think that it can be easy to slip into a mentality of burdensome tasks, but living life together and being in love with God should be enjoyable. Difficult and costly at times, but enjoyable and filling to be with our brothers and sisters in Christ.

I loved the People of Peace model and how people of peace will travel from S1 to the "Keeping" Stage. I think this is practical and I am thankful for its truthful telling of a shrinking pyramid. I think that many leaders will get upset and begin to think they are doing something wrong when they see people leading but I think this shows that the refining process is a weed out process and is not a reflection of their ability to minister well.

matthewostermeyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Leading Missional Communities Part 2

Post by lleeson Yesterday at 9:16 pm

I appreciated this reading because it gave examples of how successful missional communities have worked, but didn’t make me think it had to be done exactly that way. There were similar routines in all of the examples, yet they looked different depending on the environment or the people they were reaching out to.

I liked how the authors explained the best way to get started is through prayer. I like to go and do and sometimes miss the very important part of prayer. When starting a MC, I think it is so vital to pray together and share what we think the Lord is speaking to us. The group should be unified in who they are reaching. It’s not a group of people all just reaching out to very different people groups and bringing them together. That would be much more difficult compared to having a target group that we feel collectively called to at that point.

I think the calendar of a month of MC routines was a lot more open than I thought. Sometimes I think when reaching people we need to have something planned every day, when that isn’t really realistic or what PoP want. It’s much more realistic to have 1-2 planned events each week, with more random/organic meetings spread. It is more manageable and also more like family. Family doesn’t plan every time they are with one another. Sometimes people just stop over throughout the week to hangout, go to a movie, or to see the kids etc.

One last takeaway I got was that in order to grow/multiply, we need to be raising up leaders while the community is growing. I think I tend to be less assertive when it comes to giving people the responsibility of leadership. It could be easy for members of the LC to be comfortable in their community and not want to leave. By emphasizing early in the MC process, that they felt the love of God through this community and that many more throughout the city need to feel it too, helps people to realize the need to multiply and want to lead their own MC.

lleeson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down