Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question 6 Kolten Turner

2 posters

Go down

Question 6 Kolten Turner Empty Question 6 Kolten Turner

Post by Kolten Turner Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:56 pm

"How do you think theology will impact your discipleship, ministry, and beliefs?"

In order to disciple someone, I must always be prepared to answer the question of ,"Why do you believe what you believe?". In order for me to answer that question, I must be firmly rooted in my own theology. I can give them experiences and stories of God's grace and mercy, but to really disciple someone into a leader, there has to be a firm foundation.

Same goes for ministry. A leader teaching leaders without any firm theological background is like a dog herding sheep for its shepherd. The dog knows what it's supposed to do and when it is supposed to do it, but it doesn't necessarily know why it does what it does.

Theology is the core of my belief system. If I claim to stand firm in my faith but don't have any theological knowledge, I'm a fraud. I can choose to believe what I think to be true of God, but I cannot know for certain that what I am following is actually what I believe to be true.
Kolten Turner
Kolten Turner

Back to top Go down

Question 6 Kolten Turner Empty Re: Question 6 Kolten Turner

Post by Marie Hugershoff Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:44 pm

I completely agree with most of what you said. It is easy to get people interested in the Gospel through sharing stories and experiences, but to be able to disciple someone I do believe that having that theological foundation is important. One thing that I would say is that I think saying "If I claim to stand firm in my faith but don't have any theological knowledge, I'm a fraud." is a little harsh. I think I understand the point that you were making but does not having any theological knowledge invalidate the relationship that you have with Jesus, I would argue no. I think that you can stand firm in your beliefs as a Christian because of a deep and intimate relationship that you have with Christ, and when someone is ready to go deeper, that is when theology comes into the picture.
Marie Hugershoff
Marie Hugershoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kolten Turner Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:54 pm

Marie Hugershoff wrote:I completely agree with most of what you said. It is easy to get people interested in the Gospel through sharing stories and experiences, but to be able to disciple someone I do believe that having that theological foundation is important. One thing that I would say is that I think saying "If I claim to stand firm in my faith but don't have any theological knowledge, I'm a fraud." is a little harsh. I think I understand the point that you were making but does not having any theological knowledge invalidate the relationship that you have with Jesus, I would argue no. I think that you can stand firm in your beliefs as a Christian because of a deep and intimate relationship that you have with Christ, and when someone is ready to go deeper, that is when theology comes into the picture.  

Fake news.
Kolten Turner
Kolten Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by Marie Hugershoff Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:04 pm

Kolten Turner wrote:
Marie Hugershoff wrote:I completely agree with most of what you said. It is easy to get people interested in the Gospel through sharing stories and experiences, but to be able to disciple someone I do believe that having that theological foundation is important. One thing that I would say is that I think saying "If I claim to stand firm in my faith but don't have any theological knowledge, I'm a fraud." is a little harsh. I think I understand the point that you were making but does not having any theological knowledge invalidate the relationship that you have with Jesus, I would argue no. I think that you can stand firm in your beliefs as a Christian because of a deep and intimate relationship that you have with Christ, and when someone is ready to go deeper, that is when theology comes into the picture.  

Fake news.
your mom is fake news
Marie Hugershoff
Marie Hugershoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum