Missional Leadership: Building a Discipleship Culture (Part 2) Responses

Go down

Missional Leadership: Building a Discipleship Culture (Part 2) Responses

Post by Admin on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:19 pm

In at least 250 words, summarize your understanding of the reading and a few points you are ready to apply.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://incmit.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Missional Leadership: Building a Discipleship Culture (Part 2) Responses

Post by kellyrenelantz on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:42 pm

I thought it was interesting the author chose to use shapes to illustrate these principles but after reading through all of them I began to see how they are really valuable tools. I remember some of them being illustrated during my time in Chi Alpha.

I really liked the illustration of the Person of Peace. I think sometimes it can be hard to identify these people and which ones we can have a true impact on. I think this really broke it down so I was able to understand where I should focus planting seeds and where I need to be more intentional. I also loved the idea of checking the temperature of these people, and that it's okay to walk away from people who are very antagonistic or just cold to the Gospel. I think I can have a hard time feeling like I'm turning away an opportunity, but really I need to spend more time in warm and hot soil.

I also thought the spectrum of extroverts/introverts and pioneers/developers was very interesting and gave me a new way to look at my role in ministry and those I am discipling. I think it is very easy for me to see the importance of people who are pioneering and have a tendency to do so more than my role as a settler. This really opened my eyes to the importance of roles like mine where I feel more comfortable and able to develop what is here.

kellyrenelantz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Discipleship Culture

Post by Brittony on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:04 pm

In Building A discipling Culture, Mike Breen makes it clear in practical ways for discipleship. The two shapes talked about were the hexagon (definitive prayer) and the octagon (relational mission).

Looking at the Lord’s Prayer, I don’t think I saw it as in depth that Breen had. It makes so much sense as to how and why Jesus wants us pray-similar prayers to the original, if not the original. Acknowledging the identity of the Father and his Kingdom, then going into what he does for us because of his love as well as showing us the expectations of the Father in regards of forgiveness and keeping our eyes focused on him. I love that through this prayer we can have an expectation of the Father.

The other chapter that gives the example of the octagon, reminded me of welcome weekend in the time of “finding” people. Many students I sat down with for a meal didn’t really want me to be around let alone want me to talk about Jesus. During Welcome Weekend I didn’t intentionally look for that “person of peace” nor did I really recognize the people who weren’t that “person of peace.” As I look at my girls in my core group they really are “people of peace.” They hunger for the Lord and what he has to offer. I feel, though, its kind of different with international students. We’ve been trying to connect with Chinese students and some have been receptive to being our friend, but with a language and culture barrier the “natural dialogue” is going to quite unnatural, at least for a time. I think that, yes, talking about Jesus is unnatural with these students because they’ve never known Jesus, the true Jesus. I don’t want to force that conversation however; I do want to put myself in a position where they feel comfortable to learn about the Jesus we serve. With them, I don’t want to dust my sandals off so soon.

I really enjoyed this section of the book. It did remind me of the importance of the Lord’s Prayer, and how powerful it really is. Also, even though I had mixed feeling about people of peace, and I agree with a lot of it, I really appreciate the call to look for the person of peace.

Brittony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Part 2 Response

Post by matthewostermeyer on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:41 pm

I am thankful for the many truths that “Building a Discipling Culture” teaches. I love their ability to teach profound yet simple lessons that are necessary for every believers from something as simple as shapes. Each shape has spoken magnitudes to me.
God has shown me that the process of faith and repentance that is intertwined in the learning circle concept results in the freedom that Christ intended us to have. I am thankful to realize that I do not have to run in pride from my failures or back to things that my flesh desires. I am thankful that I can repent and rejoice in the ways that God is sanctifying me and will continue to sanctify me for the rest of my life. My prayer is that I will understand this truth and not grow weary with guilt but will walk humbly in the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
I am also thankful for the lessons taught on the up, in, and out rhythms of life. God has shown me that I am not, nor will I ever be, flawless in all of these areas. I desire to grow in the “IN” aspects of discipleship culture. I have seen that in my life I have grown to desire to do work on my own. I have never been a huge fan of doing work with others alongside them and this is something I know will hinder my ability to truly live life with others and enjoy the richness of friendship. Sometimes because my life is so ministry focused I run from intimate relationships with brothers and feel the need to perform and be what people want me to be. However, I know this is revealing a characteristic flaw in the way I approach ministry as well as friendship. Another thing I loved from this example was the emphasis on prayer and just recognizing the never-ending presence of the Lord in our lives. I would like to grow in my relationship with God. I want to grow in the discipline of spending time with God both alone, and in my relationships with my brothers and sisters.
The semi-circle lesson opened my mind to the struggles I have when it comes to abiding in the Lord. I am thankful for this lesson because for several years I struggled with heavy anxiety because I was filled with guilt at not doing work. Learning the concept of abiding and that it was God’s will for my life filled me with great peace and drew me closer to God. I still desire to grow in these areas of my life. I liked that Mike Breen talked so much about how the lifestyle of resting so that you can work is a lifestyle that God desires us to have. That this is actually a part of the sanctification process of becoming more like Jesus. I realize that I typically live in a way where I rest from work rather than rest to work. The semi-circle helped me to understand the distinction. I struggle most days to get out of bed in order to sit in the presence of God that I might hear from him for what He would choose for my day to look like. Rather I go about my own plan of work and then fill in the gaps with rest here and there. I desire to be someone who works out of a place of rest. I have been thinking more about this. I liked Mark 1:12-13 where it talks about Jesus’ response to the spirit to enter a time of 40 days in the wilderness. In the book it talked about how Jesus heard from the spirit rather than being given a 3 year Outlook calendar telling him everything that he was going to do. He did what he saw the Father doing and worked out of a place of rest. I sometimes feel like the ministry I do and many do is like the 3 year Outlook calendar rather than the way that Jesus did ministry. I wonder if we can place importance on times of quiet prayer with the Lord and retreats for individuals when they feel God calling them to take a breather. I feel this would prepare us all for the work portion of life so much greater.
The square lesson on leader and disciple interaction was one I have heard before but not this in depth. I am thankful for the lessons it provided to leaders in regards to listening to the Spirit and modeling one’s life after what we see Jesus doing. Jesus says, “I only do what I see the Father doing.” If we are modeling our leadership after Jesus then we are doing what the Father is doing. I think I can grow in not being a people pleaser as a leader. In the early stages of leadership it says that one cannot spend so much time caring if others agree with his direction or want to get on board. Of course humility is necessary and arrogance cannot be a defining factor but it is good to trust in the vision that God has given to you. Love, encouragement, and grace are such a necessary part of leadership as well as true intimate friendship. I hope that my leadership can reflect these qualities as I step into the positions that God has granted to me.
The APEST lesson of the Pentagon was very helpful and re-affirming. I learned that not only is my base role evangelist, but I believe I am currently experiencing a season of living in the apostle role. God has been flooding my life with ideas of ways to reach new territory for the gospel. I am thankful for the portions of this chapter based on immaturity of each role. It helps me to see where I am falling short as both an evangelist and an apostle as well as in the other roles. I am very thankful for the last portion of the pentagon shape. Understanding the importance and the natural tension between pioneers and developers is something I desire to grow in as I become more accustomed to working on a team. I have never been ok living as a developer would and so I pray that God will surround me with great team members who support the vision that God has given me and will help carry it out long-term.
The lesson of the hexagon meshes well with the lesson of the semi-circle and abiding in God. I desire strongly to grow in my prayer life as I open each day and as the Spirit leads. I tend to not focus on the way Jesus taught prayer enough. I should continually seek to model my life after Jesus. The hexagon has helped me understand just how truly all-encompassing this prayer is and that it can be something I open each day with. I am also thankful for how the writer addresses how you can wait and listen for the Spirit to speak even when praying the same way Jesus taught.
Chapter 12 which talked about spiritual help did a great job of simply laying out a way to exam the simple characteristics of a healthy relationship with God. It is easy to see by going through these 7 examples if these characteristics are present in our own spiritual journeys. If one of these important features is not present it can result in an unhealthy relationship with God the Father.
The lesson of the octagon was great! I love the title it gave as “Persons of Peace.” As an evangelist, this chapter is very important to me. I loved everything it was saying but especially love the idea of identifying a person of peace. I have spent too long in the past struggling to force the doors of someone’s heart open rather than spending my time with those who have hearts who are open. However, I am thankful to have been a part of the planting and watering process in that individual’s life.

matthewostermeyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Breen Part 2 Response

Post by SHKelly on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:37 pm

In part two of "Building a Discipleship Culture," Breen lays out eight principles or actions that he uses to teach the different values and goals of discipleship. He relates each activity or principle to a shape, an image that is easily expounded. Images drive our cultures communication, and Breen capitalizes on that by using them to relay important ideas. Beginning with the Circle of repentance, which was similar to the method of doing the "fruit to root" of Gospel Fluency, he showed how repentance is first repenting of the wrong, then believing the right thing. Then there was the Triangle of relationships; Up, In, and Out. This is something that I have heard many times in our local Chi Alpha group. Then, the half-circle of life rhythms, from abiding to bearing fruit. Thinking about this one helps recognize seemingly "down" periods in ministry could be a season of abiding or pruning that will lead to growth and fruit. The Square was the discipleship process, and basically embodied The Master's Plan of Evangelism. That is a shape chapter I will return to and consider more fully, especially when considering how I should be leading my guys well. The Pentagon examined the five-fold ministry gifts of Ephesians 4. I'm not quite convinced that EVERYONE is one of these things, but as a book written by leaders, for leaders, who are making leaders, I can understand where from whence they come. (grammar corrected Wink ) The Hexagon examined the Lord's Prayer as six prepositions and how they can endlessly enrich our prayer lives. The Heptagon was the seven signs of life from biology, and he examined each as a activity in which every ministry should be engaged. The Octagon finished off the LifeShapes with an eight-facetted evangelism plan that covered every social interaction. I really liked their chill approach to evangelism where you allow the Holy Spirit to do the leg work, and you just do your part.

All in all, I really liked these shapes and plan to think about them further, and will def use them in the future.

SHKelly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaneMiles on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:34 pm

Every time I read something by the 3DM folks, I can’t help but be thankful to be a part of a ministry that has encapsulated and implemented many of the concepts, albeit under different names. It makes reading and understanding things so much easier. One thing that especially spoke to me in the reading was the half-circle and the rhythms of rest. Breen and Cockram write, “Growth seems to be a result of the right rhythm being established. Growth is not the same thing as bearing fruit. . . . We must grow before we bear fruit” (107). I tend to be very outcome-oriented, and often can catch myself measuring my success by the number of tasks I accomplish in a given period. Understanding the real process of growth in the life of a vine helped to open my eyes to what true success in ministry (and life in general) should truly look like.

A second thing that stuck out to me, also in the rhythms section, was that resting was the first thing God did after creating humankind. I’ve always wondered why Sabbaths are typically associated with the beginning of the week, when it was the seventh day that God rested. However, when we realize that *our* first day was rest, something clicked for me about the importance of scheduling out good time to rest.

A final thing I appreciated was the emphasis of the pentagon and the phases of ministry. I had never heard someone present the case for a basic proficiency with all five, as well as the idea that it’s good and normal to be pushed to explore giftings that may not be our base. The concept was really intriguing and thought-provoking.

DaneMiles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Building a Discipleship Culture, Part 2

Post by lleeson on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:21 am

I enjoyed reading all of these chapters and learning concrete ways to make disciples in everyday life, but I will talk about a few that stood out to me. I enjoyed the chapter on the Lifeshape, Square, showing how Jesus grew His disciples and how we can use His model today! I tend to think of life and relationships as starting at the bottom left and going in a straight diagonal line to the top right. It’s smooth, simple, and pure growth. Yet, that is not how life works and especially not how Jesus’s disciples grew. I’m so thankful for His patience and understanding and how He showed us how the process will work, starting with excitement in the followers in the beginning, to doubt, fear and difficulty, to growing in confidence after getting through those tougher experiences, to independence and full confidence. This helps me so much as I disciple girls to know that it will 99.9% of the time NOT be a straight line. They are probably somewhere on this square and I need to be there for them wherever that is at and helping them to keep going on that path.

I also enjoyed the chapter on the Pentagon, which talked about calling. I have read about APEST before but I really appreciated how this book went a bit deeper on not just what these callings are but how they are used together with other callings. I enjoyed how they mentioned base and phase ministries, where you will have one ministry/calling that is most natural to you, yet throughout life there will be times Jesus will call/lead you to focus on other callings. This not only helped you grow and be useful in those other callings, it will help mature you in your base as you know other parts of the Body more.

Finally, I enjoyed the chapter on the Hexagon, or Prayer. I loved how they broke down the Lord’s prayer and showed how all prayers can and should have aspects of these 6 parts of the Lord’s prayer. Reading this has helped me when I pray to make it look more as Jesus prayed while speaking of situations in my life that relate to those 6 focuses.

lleeson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

BDC pt.2

Post by kkuriyama on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:37 am

Breen is a genius. I think what's most amazing is that these concepts of discipleship are things that I want to articulate and are not able to as well as they can. The natural things that you learn from discipleship are talked about like a science which I appreciate because it makes me hold on to things that I have learned in a very "grabbable" way. I also love that things that I have done naturally are things other people have done too.

The square was something that I relate to the most and I loved that it was more in-depth than just the "I do you watch, I do you do...etc" model. It reminded me of the way I grew as a worship leader back in LSU and appreciate all that Josh Higgins did for me so patiently. I still learn from how to transition from all the D-# stages because people are so different. But I want to grow in discerning things better.

The rest-work thing finally clicked in my head after all these years of thinking about the concept. I think "working from rest" was something that I couldn't understand and thought it meant something like "I should be always with Jesus." But it's more like I need to approach work from the mindset of having peace and confidence in the Lord, ergo "from rest." Resting from work always seemed to be a strange concept to me because it actually made me anxious. So I think thinking about the half-circle more will help me with some of my struggles with rest and over-working.

kkuriyama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down