Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Define in your own words what the "gospel" is

2 posters

Go down

Define in your own words what the "gospel" is  Empty Define in your own words what the "gospel" is

Post by Alicia.O. Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:43 pm

Before Chi Alpha the word "gospel" had no meaning to me. I often heard people telling me how God has commissioned me to share the gospel to all people but I didn't understand at all what that meant. Now when I think of the gospel I think of a message that is meant to be shared. I would define the gospel as: the teaching of the Jesus' coming, His time on earth, His death/resurrection, and His coming again; all being wrapped in His love and salvation for all people.

I used the word "teaching" instead of "story" because the gospel is not a story that is told and fully understood, it contains much depth and therefore should be taught and learned.

I mentioned Jesus' story "being wrapped in His love and salvation for all people" because God's biggest demonstration of love for His people was sending Jesus. If we don't highlight this loving action of Jesus taking on our wrath at the cross and how this has saved us from an eternal separation from God, then the gospel becomes distant from the hearts who have heard this "good news".
Alicia.O.
Alicia.O.

Back to top Go down

Define in your own words what the "gospel" is  Empty Define in your own words what the "gospel" is

Post by Marlou Peters Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:46 am

Alicia.O. wrote:Before Chi Alpha the word "gospel" had no meaning to me. I often heard people telling me how God has commissioned me to share the gospel to all people but I didn't understand at all what that meant. Now when I think of the gospel I think of a message that is meant to be shared. I would define the gospel as: the teaching of the Jesus' coming, His time on earth, His death/resurrection, and His coming again; all being wrapped in His love and salvation for all people.

I used the word "teaching" instead of "story" because the gospel is not a story that is told and fully understood, it contains much depth and therefore should be taught and learned.

I mentioned Jesus' story "being wrapped in His love and salvation for all people" because God's biggest demonstration of love for His people was sending Jesus. If we don't highlight this loving action of Jesus taking on our wrath at the cross and how this has saved us from an eternal separation from God, then the gospel becomes distant from the hearts who have heard this "good news".

I totally agree with you on this. I have never heard of the Word Gospel before. It is interesting because it is so important. I think if you would say it is a “story” it would come over as something that doesn’t really have happened. It sounds less meaningful as the word “teaching”

I like the way you defined the gospel. It is a short summary but very easy to understand.

It is important for us to share the Gospel and most people need to hear the Gospel many times before they will ever believe it. So, I believe that it is also very important to live out the Gospel. To love others as how Jesus would love us, to act like Jesus, to be in Community with each other and to live out our lives. We don’t need to act differently around an unbeliever. We still can pray for our food. We just need to live out the Gospel!
Marlou Peters
Marlou Peters

Back to top Go down