Missional Leadership: Building a Discipleship Culture (Part 1) Responses

Go down

Missional Leadership: Building a Discipleship Culture (Part 1) Responses

Post by Admin on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:53 pm

In at least 250 words, summarize your understanding of the reading and a few points you are ready to apply.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://incmit.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Breen part 1 Response

Post by SHKelly on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:58 pm

In part one of the book “Building a Discipling Culture,” Breen lays out a foundational why of using this discipleship strategy. This is very close to the “Master’s Plan of Evangelism” by Robert E. Coleman. He lays out what he calls “The Jesus Model” of discipleship, which I thought was very interesting. He uses the duel strategy of Invitation and Challenge, and even shows how each flawed church culture is because of an imbalance of these two. He also uses learning theory to show the three modes of learning that Jesus (and all teachers) use to teach their pupils: lecture, apprenticeship, and immersion, basically, telling, showing, and doing.

I appreciated the line regarding what success looks like in this model that said, “Obedience is success.” To quote Scott Wilson, being “faithful, and faithful, and faithful faithful faithful.” It’s tricky, because it’s subjective, but it’s also freeing because we don’t measure success in numbers or conversions (two things that are in God’s court) but we measure it in faithfulness and obedience.

One thing that he briefly mentioned, that I don’t always see happening (or at least we don’t have a method for) is the real-time multi-layered discipleship. Maybe that’s not what he meant, and maybe he’s talking about resource/core group model, but that will probably be explained in the later chapters. It would be interesting to see what building a culture that everyone is a disciple-maker would look like, and how we can get there.

I really liked this and look forward reading the next parts and to using this strategy to promote growth and Kingdom advancement in our Chi Alpha.

SHKelly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Missional Leadership: Building a Discipleship Culture (Part 1) Responses

Post by kellyrenelantz on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:00 pm

I loved this text and because I have been in Chi Alpha for almost five years now, I understand the discipleship model but this was really good for reminding me of the reasoning behind a lot of it.

As a resource leader, I've had a lot of comments about my core group leaders feeling like their girls are "work" and I feel like this book really spoke on that issue that they shouldn't be. I think it is sometimes easy to see spending time with people we are discipling as this structured lesson every time or very focused on information, but we forget the value of apprenticeship and immersion. I actually sent that section to my girls today in hopes that it would encourage them to not feel that way.

Another thing that really stuck with me that I have been putting into practice is the difference between knowing about something and knowing it. I think it is easy for me to give girls verses on prayer or mission but sometimes I fail to bring them alongside me and show them what it looks like. For example, I think I frequently tell girls to "listen to God's voice" but have not really given them to tools to succeed practically in it, because to me it is so natural and I know how God has spoken to me. I want to spend more time having moments of discipleship where we pray and listen to God's voice together in a 1 on 1 or go reach people together and take more of an apprenticeship approach.

“We should expect and appropriately plan for some degree of failure, aim for “low control, high accountability” and invest all we have in creating empowered leaders who can function as producers rather than consumers." I loved this. I think I can sometimes want to control what my disciples are doing, but me telling them what to do in every instance doesn't really help them learn how to make those choices or the consequence of doing it badly. I think lowering my need for control and wanting to protect my leaders from making mistakes needs to take a step back. I plan on still giving wisdom in situations and keeping them accountable, but letting them make decisions (and fail miserably sometimes) because I do believe things worth doing are worth doing badly. There are so many things I had done horribly as a core group leader that I am now thankful for and understand better than if someone had just told me to do a certain way.

kellyrenelantz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brittony on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:08 pm

In Part 1 of Building A Discipling Culture, Mike Breen is challenging his readers in Christ in the aspect of discipleship and how to do it well.

Chapter 3 talks about immersion, comparing it to learning another language, done best when one is fully experiencing the culture in which they’re trying to learn. In Christianity people are not learning how to speak Christianity but to live it. I really love this comparison because it’s so true. If I’m in another culture and don’t know how to speak or act I’m going to look to the people who were trained up in it. Similarly my Core Group girls are going to do the same; however, in my life I hope they see that Jesus is the one I look to and know I don’t always have it together, especially without him.

As chapter 2 states, “Discipleship is an intentional pursuit (Pg. 20).” This definitely challenged me as I disciple my girls. I love being around them but there are times when I just want to stay home or want to sleep in or whatever seems relaxing at the time, each time I go to be with them, I see the growth Jesus is doing in their lives. I see them being leaders for other girls and disciple makers of their own. My hope is that they know that I care for them but I hope even more they know Jesus cares for them; if I’m to represent Jesus then I need to be more intentional with them than simply inside Core Group meeting time.

The immersion and fluency process happens when discipleship is an intentional pursuit, pointing people to Jesus.

Brittony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

BaDMC

Post by Lindsay Leeson on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:07 am

The main takeaways I got from this part of the book was how important discipleship should be to the functionality of the church. Many churches/Christians seem to get it wrong in creating a church. Rather than trying to make disciples, they are trying to build buildings and have people come without a focus on personal growth and responsibility in the faith. Jesus did not call us to build churches; He told us by the power of His Spirit, to go and make disciples. Those disciples would become the church, rather than the other way around.

I liked their diagram on p. 18 showing level of challenge and invitation. It seems in order to build a strong disciple making culture, there must be a high invitation and challenge for members. Yet, many churches fall into other quadrants. I would like to talk more during our Learning Party about examples of what these other church quadrants look like today.

I also enjoyed the authors sharing how people learn most effectively. Jesus showed us how to make disciples; He came to this earth to be our Savior but also to be an example for us! I think today we should still look at Jesus in learning how to make disciples. He taught by lecturing, allowing His disciples to be an apprentice, and then immersing them into what He did. I appreciated that this book shared how each type of teaching style is valuable. It’s easy to look at our church today and think we need to do away totally with lecturing because it is overdone. I definitely think there needs to be more learning by apprenticing and being immersed in disciple making, yet we still need instruction since many have no clue how to do it!

Lindsay Leeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Dane Miles on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:01 pm

The Breen reading was, at times, a surreal experience for me. Pretty much all of part one felt as though it could have been written as a case study of IUXA, and I don’t say that out of some sort of arrogance. The biggest aspect of this would be the multi-level discipleship, illustrated by the 8:6:4 principle. That structure struck me as identical to the staff/resource team/core group structure of our ministry. Additionally, the aspect of apprenticeship in discipleship was very much in line with how our ministry handles Fall Startup/Welcome Week. As a ministry, I think we do a pretty fair job at recognizing that we must not just tell our leaders and students “hey, Jesus go make disciples – read your Bible daily, pray, and go knock yourselves out.” Instead, we recognize that we are discipling our students by joining them at events, by taking the lead in engaging an unknown student, in asking them to come alongside us, and finally in staying by to watch them take the lead.

Two things I’d like to apply from the book in my life are the openness to the disciple and our assumptions of what it means to “build the church.” As someone raised in church, Sunday mornings have always had what was probably an outsized weight as to how to raise someone in the faith. Evangelism was something you did by serving the community or passing out a business card with the church address asking people to come to church for “visitor” Sunday, whatever that means. Breen and Cockram make the prescient reminder that Jesus asks for us to make disciples – a task that is far less linear, more involved, and incredibly effective. This means finding others, and walking through life with them, and first affirming, but later challenging them. This is one thing I’d like to improve – I’d like to not just affirm, but offer good, pointed, and uplifting challenges to those I disciple.

The second aspect is that I’d like to open myself more and more to those I disciple – that our dynamic would never become one of a formulaic Tuesday, Sunday, and one other night per week, but rather a rhythmic system of praying for them, of inviting them into the exciting and the mundane areas of my life, and praying that God might use my (poor) example of Christ to make them more into His image.

Dane Miles

Back to top Go down

BaDC Part 1

Post by KenjiK on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:44 pm

I love 3DM. And even though I had heard most of the concepts already at some point, it is always refreshing to go through them. I think the things concerning discipleship should be refreshed in out minds constantly so we don't get confused about our goals. Sometimes we concentrate too much on specific things about discipleship that we lose to he end goal. So I appreciated being able to read those things again.
I love Eli G.'s quote when he read this book and said "It feels like they have been watching us." And it's a great relief that somewhere in the world other people are doing similar things to what we do. Like the book says "If you build a church you don't necessarily always get disciples, but if you make disciples you will always get the church." Discipleship is everything. It is the heartbeat, it is the foundation, it is the engine... It reminds me of Oswald Chambers quote about prayer. Discipleship IS the great work. It's not a result from doing something else well. It's what makes all of the things well.
In terms of the book, I really appreciated the section on pedagogy. As a music teacher, I 100% adhere to their thoughts and concepts about pedagogy, and in music you can't have just the first part. It's like teaching music theory for 5 years and then say "Okay go sing an opera now." It just doesn't work. I think what challenged me was that maybe I lean too much on imitation and immersion, and not so much on information. But it was a good reminder that imitation and immersion are two things that are really good too. One thing I don't know is if there's a required order in when those things happen. I don't think it necessarily needs to go information to imitation to immersion.
Really excited to keep reading and talking about discipleship.

KenjiK

Back to top Go down

Response

Post by Matt Ostermeyer` on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:02 pm

I am very excited to begin reading through all of Mike Breen's (and 3DM's) book on discipleship. I am thankful for the reading that we had to do this week as it asks the real question that is at the heart of Jesus' ministry. "How do we make disciples"? This is the question that Jesus most concerned himself when he walked this earth. Too often in my walk with God and in my interaction with the church I see a very different mentality. Many churches I notice are focused on size and numbers and not individual intimacy with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I firmly believe this is the cause of a watered down version of the church that we can see today.

I found the book to have a very radical nature and tone to it which I believe is important for us to take into our own lives. The book uses countless examples of how Jesus did ministry in contrast with many people in this world. At point the author offers that building a discipleship culture is the only way to even come up with something that Jesus would recognize as the church. I firmly agree with this point. It is simple for us to attach the title "church" to any given congregation of people. However, just because we would call something the church does not mean it is recognized as the church.

I am excited to continue reading this book and the rest of the books in the series. I believe strongly in what is at the heart of this book (making disciples). What transforms the world is when every believer has a powerful, intimate, and radical belief in the gospel of Jesus Christ. That is something we do not see enough of today in the church. I agree strongly with the 3DM team that this only happens when we pursue the creation of a discipleship culture through the intentional discipleship of just a few people in our lives at a time. And while we disciple these people, we are teaching them the vision for discipleship culture and what it means to make disciples who create disciples.

Matt Ostermeyer`

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down