Indiana CMIT Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

There are thousands of different denominations out there, all reading the same Bible. In the midst of so many disagreements in the church how can you confidently believe anything about God?

Go down

There are thousands of different denominations out there, all reading the same Bible. In the midst of so many disagreements in the church how can you confidently believe anything about God? Empty There are thousands of different denominations out there, all reading the same Bible. In the midst of so many disagreements in the church how can you confidently believe anything about God?

Post by Jacob Gulka Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:25 pm

I suppose a helpful question is why did each group of believers feel that forming denominations were so necessary? If the disagreements were over core fundamentals of Christianity then I believe that most of Christian theology has great reason to be on shaky ground, but if one looks at where they agree and where the disagree you’ll find some significant overlap. Consider the main tenants as illustrated in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4:

“Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, which you stand, and by which you are being saved…For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures..”

At the beginning, the church focused on these foundational truths of Christianity, however over time peripheral truths (e.g. time of baptism, nature of the Lord’s Supper, nature of ecclesiastical authority, etc.) began to diversify. I believe many overemphasized these peripheral truths to the extent of shattering into denominations. I have complete confidence in the security of the core truths and that they aren’t easily debatable cross-denomination, and I have my own opinion and reasoning based on the peripheral ones. I believe the denominational shattering was due to factionalism and lack of submission to authority, the fallen state of man.
Jacob Gulka
Jacob Gulka

Back to top Go down