Post by Admin on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Post your 250-word response to "Communicating for a Change."
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://incmit.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Katie Averitt: Leadership Response

Post by Katie A on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:32 pm

The book, “Communicating for a Change,” by Andy Stanley and Lane Jones is very interesting narrative that demonstrates how to effectively deliver an interesting message while public speaking. The book starts off with the main character, a pastor, being unfulfilled by his ability to capture the attention of his congregation. He comes into contact with a truck driver who completely changes his understanding of what it means to communicate well while public speaking. There’s a lot that I took away from this book. Our goal should shape what and how we communicate. Our goal in communicating the gospel should always be life change. I feel like it can be easy sometimes to get lost in a deep theological debate or teaching and forget why we’re discussing it to begin with. The reason we do what we do is to know God better, and to bring the people in our lives to a better understanding of him as well.
The authors of this book also discuss a one point message. “It is essential for the communicator to know the answer to two questions: what is the one thing I want my audience to know? What do I want them to do about it?” Something that I feel as though a lot of churches today are lacking is a call to respond. My biggest fear in ministry would be leading a group of people who are just there to warm seats, and passively get filled up by whatever the pastor says and not do anything about it. Fortunately with my involvement in the Assemblies of God and in XA I've been exposed to bodies of believers who take action after they hear the word of God. Because of this and what I've read in this book I'm seeing how important it is to challenge our congregation and call them to do something.
Katie A

View user profile

Back to top Go down